Evan will be 5 in June & I must admit that I love the stage he’s in right now. He’s articulate, funny and smart (not that I’m biased or anything). Unfortunately the flip side of that is that he can be pushy, demanding & whiny. If I’m honest with myself, and you, I will admit that occasionally when he falls into those behaviour patterns the first thing I want to do is say “Okay…I give in…you win…just SHHHHHHHH!”
That would fall under the “pushover” category for sure.
Other times I yell “Stop that NOW or you are going to your ROOM (or losing video game privileges or getting a toy taken away).” Unfortunately I suck at the follow through so I end up looking like a pushover pretending to be a hard ass (and failing miserably).
When I am at my best, I am firm (without yelling) and I offer him options, choices or solutions to his frustration. If he decides not to chose that route, then he goes to his room until he can be more calm and less bossy about the situation. This route, while better, often ends in tears (his) and frustration (mine) at how long it takes to get him to see reason. I know that it is the better choice parenting wise and for his future but….
why is it so hard?
I know, I know, no one ever said parenting was easy.
So how do you fight the good fight & make the right choices in parenting even when they are the harder choices?
- Wordless Wednesday – Chilling at the Cottage - July 23, 2014
- Monday Funday Linky Party – July 21 - July 21, 2014
- You Deserve a Donut! - July 20, 2014
- Chasing Happy – My Weight Is Not a Measure of My Worth - July 17, 2014
- Fresh And Delicious Cucumber and Red Onion Salad - July 16, 2014
- Monday Funday Linky Party – July 14th - July 14, 2014
- Tomato & Sweet Chili Pork Kabobs - July 12, 2014
- Monday Funday Linky Party- July 7th - July 7, 2014
- Visiting Canada’s Sports Hall of Fame #MOMblr - July 6, 2014
- Skip The Dishes.ca! A New Takeout Service in Calgary - July 4, 2014