Evan will be 5 in June & I must admit that I love the stage he’s in right now. He’s articulate, funny and smart (not that I’m biased or anything). Unfortunately the flip side of that is that he can be pushy, demanding & whiny. If I’m honest with myself, and you, I will admit that occasionally when he falls into those behaviour patterns the first thing I want to do is say “Okay…I give in…you win…just SHHHHHHHH!”
That would fall under the “pushover” category for sure.
Other times I yell “Stop that NOW or you are going to your ROOM (or losing video game privileges or getting a toy taken away).” Unfortunately I suck at the follow through so I end up looking like a pushover pretending to be a hard ass (and failing miserably).
When I am at my best, I am firm (without yelling) and I offer him options, choices or solutions to his frustration. If he decides not to chose that route, then he goes to his room until he can be more calm and less bossy about the situation. This route, while better, often ends in tears (his) and frustration (mine) at how long it takes to get him to see reason. I know that it is the better choice parenting wise and for his future but….
why is it so hard?
I know, I know, no one ever said parenting was easy.
So how do you fight the good fight & make the right choices in parenting even when they are the harder choices?
- Try the New Original Joe’s Summer Menu – Giveaway - May 22, 2015
- Cooper, Our Little Urban Dog - May 21, 2015
- Quick and Easy Cheater Pizza - May 19, 2015
- Monday Funday Linky Party – May 18 - May 18, 2015
- Cookina Reusable Grilling Sheet Giveaway #WhatsOnYourGrill - May 16, 2015
- Great Make and Freeze Meals - May 15, 2015
- Exploring the Deep in Cozumel with Atlantis Submarines - May 12, 2015
- Monday Funday Linky Party – May 11 - May 11, 2015
- Easy Crunchy Parmesan Ranch Pork Chops - May 10, 2015
- Instagramming My Way to Self Acceptance - May 9, 2015