Evan will be 5 in June & I must admit that I love the stage he’s in right now. He’s articulate, funny and smart (not that I’m biased or anything). Unfortunately the flip side of that is that he can be pushy, demanding & whiny. If I’m honest with myself, and you, I will admit that occasionally when he falls into those behaviour patterns the first thing I want to do is say “Okay…I give in…you win…just SHHHHHHHH!”
That would fall under the “pushover” category for sure.
Other times I yell “Stop that NOW or you are going to your ROOM (or losing video game privileges or getting a toy taken away).” Unfortunately I suck at the follow through so I end up looking like a pushover pretending to be a hard ass (and failing miserably).
When I am at my best, I am firm (without yelling) and I offer him options, choices or solutions to his frustration. If he decides not to chose that route, then he goes to his room until he can be more calm and less bossy about the situation. This route, while better, often ends in tears (his) and frustration (mine) at how long it takes to get him to see reason. I know that it is the better choice parenting wise and for his future but….
why is it so hard?
I know, I know, no one ever said parenting was easy.
So how do you fight the good fight & make the right choices in parenting even when they are the harder choices?
- Honey Grilled Chicken and Shrimp with Cookina Reusable Grilling Sheets - April 24, 2015
- Meet Medicine Hat…A Great Road Trip from Calgary! - April 22, 2015
- A Company Doing It Right, The BMO #HelpGiven Campaign - April 21, 2015
- Monday Funday Linky Party – April 20 - April 20, 2015
- Delicious Double Chocolate Muffins - April 17, 2015
- What to Keep On Hand for Quick Dinners - April 16, 2015
- Exploring an Underground River and Cenotes at Kantun-Chi in the Mayan Riviera - April 15, 2015
- Monday Funday Linky Party – April 13 - April 13, 2015
- A Couples Escape in Canmore - April 12, 2015
- Quick Creamy Italian Sausage Pasta Skillet - April 9, 2015