Evan will be 5 in June & I must admit that I love the stage he’s in right now. He’s articulate, funny and smart (not that I’m biased or anything). Unfortunately the flip side of that is that he can be pushy, demanding & whiny. If I’m honest with myself, and you, I will admit that occasionally when he falls into those behaviour patterns the first thing I want to do is say “Okay…I give in…you win…just SHHHHHHHH!”
That would fall under the “pushover” category for sure.
Other times I yell “Stop that NOW or you are going to your ROOM (or losing video game privileges or getting a toy taken away).” Unfortunately I suck at the follow through so I end up looking like a pushover pretending to be a hard ass (and failing miserably).
When I am at my best, I am firm (without yelling) and I offer him options, choices or solutions to his frustration. If he decides not to chose that route, then he goes to his room until he can be more calm and less bossy about the situation. This route, while better, often ends in tears (his) and frustration (mine) at how long it takes to get him to see reason. I know that it is the better choice parenting wise and for his future but….
why is it so hard?
I know, I know, no one ever said parenting was easy.
So how do you fight the good fight & make the right choices in parenting even when they are the harder choices?
- Chunky Curry Red Lentil Stew - September 21, 2014
- Now Accepting Submissions for Merry About Town 2014 Holiday Gift Guide - September 20, 2014
- Beyond the Sandwich Lunch Box Ideas - September 17, 2014
- Monday Funday Linky Party – Sept 15 - September 15, 2014
- Ten New York City Travel Tips & Tricks - September 13, 2014
- Copycat Guthrie’s Sauce and Why It Makes This Southern Girl So Happy - September 11, 2014
- Calgary Home + Design Show Gift Basket Giveaway - September 10, 2014
- Monday Funday Linky Party- September 8 - September 8, 2014
- Chasing Happy – Trying to Just BE - September 4, 2014
- Visiting Calgary? Definitely Check Out the Calgary Zoo! - September 3, 2014