Evan will be 5 in June & I must admit that I love the stage he’s in right now. He’s articulate, funny and smart (not that I’m biased or anything). Unfortunately the flip side of that is that he can be pushy, demanding & whiny. If I’m honest with myself, and you, I will admit that occasionally when he falls into those behaviour patterns the first thing I want to do is say “Okay…I give in…you win…just SHHHHHHHH!”
That would fall under the “pushover” category for sure.
Other times I yell “Stop that NOW or you are going to your ROOM (or losing video game privileges or getting a toy taken away).” Unfortunately I suck at the follow through so I end up looking like a pushover pretending to be a hard ass (and failing miserably).
When I am at my best, I am firm (without yelling) and I offer him options, choices or solutions to his frustration. If he decides not to chose that route, then he goes to his room until he can be more calm and less bossy about the situation. This route, while better, often ends in tears (his) and frustration (mine) at how long it takes to get him to see reason. I know that it is the better choice parenting wise and for his future but….
why is it so hard?
I know, I know, no one ever said parenting was easy.
So how do you fight the good fight & make the right choices in parenting even when they are the harder choices?
- Here Comes Peter Cottontail! Everything Easter - March 24, 2015
- Monday Funday Linky Party – March 23 - March 23, 2015
- Aggie Days 2015 Are Coming with a Giveaway! - March 19, 2015
- Tips for Affording Your Next Experiential Vacation - March 18, 2015
- Monday Funday Linky Party – March 16 - March 16, 2015
- Flourless Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Bar Cookies - March 14, 2015
- Try Kellogg’s Mini-Wheats HOT! (with giveaway) - March 13, 2015
- Canadian Tax Changes You Should Know (and a Giveaway from H&R Block) - March 11, 2015
- 12 Family Friendly Things to Do in Spring in Calgary (with and without snow) - March 9, 2015
- Monday Funday Linky Party – March 9th - March 9, 2015