I, personally, love giant bags of candy. I know my kids do, too. BUT I know that many parents nowadays are looking for alternatives to a sugar-filled loot bag. Well, I came up with this GIANT list of summer loot bag ideas, just for you. And they are all easy AND inexpensive. You’re welcome.
1) A mix CD: the songs can fit the party theme! Or you could have a summer-music playlist. ANYTHING that gets Frozen out of rotation in my car.
2) Sunglassess: also available ANYWHERE this time of year.
3) Books: ALWAYS in season.
6) Beach towels: ones with TV characters will go over well.
7) Flower or vegetable seeds: my kids grew some sunflowers inside once, and they loved it.
8) Sidewalk chalk: you can never have enough. Give a whole box or a few pieces.
9) Balls: basketball, soccer ball, bouncy ball, etc. You can buy them anywhere, for cheap.
10) Bubbles: always a hit.
11) Foil balloons: use them as decorations and then send them home with your guests! They last for WEEKS, and are very hard to pop.
12) Sand toys: we don’t have a beach, but we use these at the playground.
13) Hula hoops.
14) Slinkies: a spring, a spring, a marvelous thing!
15) Colouring books and crayons.
16) Canvas bags or backpacks: add an iron-on or patches to jazz them up.
17) Water bottles: stay hydrated, yo.
OMG Parties Are Expensive.
Save money by combining the loot bag with the party activity! For instance:
18) Cookie-Making: kids decorate cookies and bring home the cookie cutter they used, along with a recipe.
19) Lego: kids can build something out of Lego at the party, then bring their sculpture home (bonus: less clutter at your house)!
20) Baking / Cooking: kids make any kind of food or treat at the party, and bring home an apron or chef’s hat. How about a pizza party?
21) Planting: kids plant a seed or seedling at the party, decorate the pot, and bring their new plant home.
22) Fabric-Painting: kids decorate t-shirts, pillow cases, or canvas bags and bring them home – use tie-dye, fabric paint, or stick-on patches.
23) Picture Frames: kids decorate a picture frame. Take a picture of them at the party, print it, and send them home with the finished product.
24) Necklaces: kids string necklaces (with beads OR candy) to bring home.
25) Art / Craft: if you do any kind of art project at the party, kids can keep the finished result – try something easy like paintings or collages. You can give the kids smocks to protect their clothes and to keep as a favour!
REMEMBER: We tend to over-think this. Most kids are actually pretty easy to please. Keep it simple, and have fun!
For more easy loot bag ideas, check out my post on Winter Loot Bags!