Netflix has completely changed how I watch television. I rarely sit down to watch television just to watch it. Most of the time, I am working on my computer (like I am now) with the television on in the background. I like having the television on because it makes the time go by faster and the house isn’t so quiet. Unfortunately, not all shows work well for this type of watching. Nope.
For example, I loved the Netflix Original series Narcos (well loved as much as you can love a show about a narcissist drug cartel leader who thought nothing of murdering anyone that got in his way) but it is not a show you can watch in the background. You have to give it your full attention so that you can read the subtitles. Otherwise you will realize, as I did, that it’s been on in the background and you’ve listened to 20 minutes of dialog in Spanish when you do not, in fact, speak Spanish.
My recommendation: Watch Narcos when you have time to actually watch it….and definitely watch it.
Okay…back on track! Here are my favorite binge-worthy shows that I have finished in the last few weeks:
- The Last Kingdom – What can I say….HOT VIKINGS! Synopsis: As Alfred the Great defends his kingdom from Norse invader, Uhtred–born as a Saxon but raised by Vikings–seeks to claim his ancestral birthright. Unfortunately, there is only one season of this series so far. I am waiting with baited breath until more episodes come out.
- Homeland – Synopsis: In this riveting Emmy-winning drama, a CIA agent suspects that a Marine who just returned after years in captivity has been turned into a terrorist. Homeland is a dark and twisty show that will have you in it’s grips after the first episode. With 3 full seasons on Netflix, there is lots of binging to be had!
- Hmmm…I must admit that I like the dark and twisty shows the best. Right now I’m streaming Rectify. Synopsis: After two decades on death row, Daniel Holder is cleared by DNA evidence, but his journey of redemption is just beginning. New episode added weekly (yay!). I still have no idea what is going on…but in a good way.
- Longmire – Synopsis: This contemporary crime thriller focuses on a Wyoming sheriff who’s rebuilding his life and career following the death of his wife. Longmire was a favorite of mine (until I ran out of episodes). I especially like that Lou Diamond Phillips (blast from the past, right?) is a main character. Love him!
- Jessica Jones – Love comic books? Check out Jessica Jones. It’s like every comic book turned on it’s head. The main character is a tough as nails woman with super powers and all the men are either evil or a love interest. Yep. Gender role reversal for the win. Synopsis: Haunted by a traumatic past, Jessica Jones uses her gifts as a private eye to find her tormentor before he can harm anyone else in Hell’s Kitchen.
There you go…6 totally binge-worthy shows that are available right now on Netflix. Enjoy! Now I have to run because…..Rectify is calling.
Disclosure: I am a part of the Netflix #StreamTeam. As always all opinions are my own (you can totally come and look at my Netflix history…oh wait…don’t because then you will know how much I watch!).