I’m going to call it….this summer is going to be the summer of the salad! I’ve already fallen in love with kale salad this year and now I have a new favorite thanks to my friend Dana over at Talking in All Caps. She is posting a salad a week for all 52 weeks of 2013. Cool, huh? Word on the street is that I should try her Southwestern Bean salad next (and so should you!). But first…let’s talk about this Asparagus, Tomato and Bell Pepper salad!
When I told the fam that we were going to be having a salad made with raw asparagus, I got a raised eyebrow. However, after dinner there were raves all around (well…except Evan the picky eater).
Raweewan, Dewey and I all loved it. I think this salad would be a great dish to take to a summer potluck barbecue or event. Since the vegetables are hearty and don’t wilt, it is even better the next day.
Asparagus, Tomato and Bell Pepper Salad
- 1 bunch asparagus
- 2 handfuls grape tomatoes each cut in half
- 1 yellow or red bell pepper diced
- 1 handful basil leaves
- 1/2 cup feta cheese cubed (or to taste)
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- juice of one lime
- 2 tsp grainy mustard
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp Clubhouse Salad Herbs or similar
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Prep asparagus by snapping the woody ends off each spear.
- Cut spears in to bite sized pieces.
- Roll up basil leaves length wise and slice thinly.
- Combine asparagus, tomatoes, bell peppers, basil and feta in a large bowl.
- In a small bowl, whisk together olive oil, lime juice, mustard, sugar, salad herbs, salt and pepper.
- Add dressing to the chopped vegetables and mix to combine.
- Let sit for at least 30 minutes before serving for flavors to meld.
Need more delicious salad ideas? Check out these great recipes!