Cutting flour and sugar out of your diet? It can be a huge change to get used to! Instead of going cold turkey, try these yummy avocado brownies that can fit easily into your paleo or keto diet.
While I am not following the paleo or keto diet currently, I have in the past. I had a really hard time getting past my love of baking. You see, flour is the building block of baking and it is pretty much verboten on both keto and paleo.
Unfortunately, while trying to replace bread and treats, many people load up their diets with a bunch of weird ingredients. Thankfully, these delicious avocado brownies are weird ingredient free! No xanthan gum or other things I can’t pronounce…just yummy avocados. I know that does seem weird but it totally works!
I did have to buy coconut flour but it seems to be used quite frequently in gluten/carb free recipes. I hate to buy an ingredient for just one thing, ya know? The cool thing is that these gluten-free brownies are SO GOOD that you would likely use all the coconut flour even if you couldn’t use it for anything else.
Overall, the brownies were very good and very chocolatey. I will bake them a bit longer next time (the recipe shows the longer time) because they were quite moist, especially the next day. Evan said they weren’t as good as regular brownies but that he still like them.
I think they would be delicious with vanilla ice cream (though that kind of negates the whole non-dairy thing doesn’t it….oh well, dairy doesn’t bother me so ice cream it is!). Melding a superfood like avocados into a chocolatey treat…how can you go wrong?
Keto or Paleo Avocado Brownie Recipe
Paleo Avocado Brownies
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease an 8X8 square baking pan.
- Melt chocolate and coconut oil in the microwave. Stir every 30 seconds until melted (usually about 1 1/2 minutes).
- Fold together melted chocolate and avocado puree in a large bowl (make sure your avocado puree is very smooth or you will have avocado chunks in your brownies).
- Mix in remaining ingredients, mixing well.
- Pour into prepared pan and bake for 35 - 45 minutes. Don't over bake but realize that the brownies will get moister as they cool.
Looking for other great Paleo or Keto recipes? Try these!