I first posted this recipe years 5 years ago when Evan was a toddler. He loved these muffins then and he still does today. I love the because they are easy peasy and a crowd pleaser. The recipe easily doubles if you need to make a big batch. Don’t have whole wheat flour? All purpose works just fine. These are perfect for the lunch box. I make a big batch and stick them in the freezer so I always have a muffin on hand for Evan’s lunch. Evan loves cookies and crackers. Like most toddlers he loves the carbs! I don’t mind it really, as they should have lots of high quality, whole grains in their diet.
The problem comes when I try to buy things for him at the store. Almost all cookies & crackers have an ingredient list as long as your arm and are made with white flour. I have tried (and mostly succeeded) to replace all the white flour I was using with whole wheat. I’ve also started baking cookies & muffins for Evan. They may not be 100% healthy but at least I know what is going into them! This is my favorite banana muffin recipe & Evan loves, loves, loves them (and so do I, hence the 3 mini muffins I ate last night). He would eat them all day, every day if you would let him.
- 3 large very ripe bananas, mashed
- 3/4 cup white sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/3 cup butter, melted
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup semi sweet chocolate chips, I just eyeball it
- Preheat oven to 350°. Coat muffin pans with non-stick spray or use paper liners. Mix together flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and chocolate chips. Set aside.
- Combine bananas, sugar, egg, melted butter & vanilla in a large bowl. Fold in flour mixture (all at once) and stir until just mixed. Don't over mix! Scoop into regular or mini muffin pans.
- Bake in preheated oven. Mini muffins will take 10 - 15 minutes while large muffins take 25 - 30 minutes. Muffins will spring back when lightly tapped.
- Makes ~55 mini muffins or 24 minis + 9 regular muffins (I would assume 12-15 regular muffins though I can't say b/c I've always made some mini muffins).
Nutrition Information:Yield: 15
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 211Saturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 22mgSodium: 203mgCarbohydrates: 30gFiber: 2gSugar: 17gProtein: 2g
Wilton Recipe Right Nonstick 12-Cup Regular Muffin PanKeliwa 12 Cup Silicone Muffin & Cupcake Baking Pan / Non – Stick / Dishwasher – Microwave Safe / 21 FREE RECIPESWilton 415-8121 150/Pack Baking Cup, Dots/Stripes, StandardThe Boston Sweets Silicone Cupcake Liners – 24 Pack Baking Cups- EIGHT colors – Reusable & Nonstick Muffin Molds – Cupcake Holders Gift set – Pink Purple Blue Red Green Fun Green Yellow Orange Muffin CupsWilton 2105-459 Excelle Elite 3-Tier Cooling Rack, 15 7/8Prepworks by Progressive Ultimate 19-Piece Measuring Cup and Spoon SetPyrex 3-Piece Glass Measuring Cup SetOXO Good Grips Batter Bowl
Looking for other muffin recipes? Try these: