Even though I am from the South, I have never actually made banana pudding before (shocker I know!!!!). This week I teamed up with a couple of other Sales guys at work to cook for charity, we chose a “Southern” theme for our submission. I volunteered to make banana pudding. Easy, peasy….right? Well, I forgot about it and then had to figure out a recipe last minute. This recipe checked all the boxes. It’s not really like my Granny’s (hers had meringue) but I prefer whipped cream instead. Meringue is just not my thing.
I would definitely call this a “cheater” recipe. Traditional Southern banana pudding has a “cooked” pudding base while this recipe has an instant pudding base. Regardless it tastes AWESOME and was a big hit with everyone.
Make it for your next barbecue party or take it to a potluck. I guarantee someone will ask for the recipe.
How to Make Southern Banana Pudding for a Crowd
Love banana pudding but not sure how to make enough for a crowd? Here is how to make banana pudding for a crowd that everyone will love!
- In a large bowl combine condensed milk and water. Stir until well mixed. Add vanilla pudding and mix well with a whisk. Chill in the refrigerator for 5 minutes.
- Whip whipping cream in small batches (you cannot whip 6 cups of cream in a normal mixer at one time....ask me how I know).
- Peel bananas and cut them into 1/2 inch thick circles. Toss banana pieces with lemon juice to keep from browning. Set aside.
- Gently fold whipped cream into chilled pudding mixture until just mixed. Spread 1/4 of the mixture in the bottom of the roaster pan. Follow with a layer of vanilla wafers and then a layer of bananas. Top with pudding mixture, layer of cookies, layer of bananas & finish off with the rest of the pudding. Chill over night if possible.
- To serve, add additional whipped cream for garnish.
JETfoil Aluminum Foil Steam Table Pans, Full Size Deep, Pack of 15, Roaster pansNilla Wafer, 11 ozJell-O Vanilla, Instant Pudding & Pie Filling, 3.4 ozWired Whisk Silicone Whisk Set of 3 – Stainless Steel & Silicone Kitchen Utensils for Blending, Whisking, Beating & Stirring – (Blue: 12-inch, Red: 10-inch & Green: 8.5-inch)SOHO DESSERT GLASS DISHES SET 6
Recipe Notes: This is BIG. It will serve a lot of people. It is a big party pleaser, though, so it is worth it. My friend Jolene said “It’s like a slice of heaven.” If you have a smaller group just make the original recipe.
Looking for more delicious dessert recipes? Check these out!