Soup can take a bunch of disparate ingredients and meld them into something warm and comforting. It’s the ultimate DIY comfort food. Have a few potatoes and a few carrots? That works. Have no potatoes but a can of corn? Yep, that works too. Use this recipe for Beef Noodle Vegetable Soup as a base for what you have in the fridge and pantry.
My Granny made vegetable soup and cornbread all the time and I LOVED it. She rarely put meat in it because that made it cost more. I never cared, though, because it was my favourite. I added meat this time I because I wanted to make it a bit heartier. I also added pasta because it makes it a bit more kid-friendly. If you don’t want meat…leave it out. Same with the noodles.
If you make more than you need, you can freeze this soup as well. Freezing individual portions makes it easy to take soup for lunch at work or school. I think soup is my favourite easy and thrifty meal.
Love soup for lunch through the week? Make a big pot of this recipe and eat it through the week. It gets better as the flavors meld together in the refrigerator. Reheating works well in either the microwave or in a pot on the stove.
Beef Noodle Vegetable Soup
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large onion diced
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 28 oz diced tomatoes undrained
- 1 litre chicken broth
- 1 cup water
- 3 large carrots peeled and chopped
- 4 red potatoes coarsely chopped
- 1 pound ground beef browned and drained
- 1 cup frozen niblet corn
- 1 cup rotini noodles
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a large soup pot, heat olive oil over medium high heat.
- Add onions and cook until the onions start to soften.
- Add garlic and cook 2 more minutes.
- Add tomatoes, stir and cook until tomatoes start to cook and break down (about 5 minutes).
- Add chicken broth, water and carrots and potatoes.
- Cook for 25 minutes.
- Add beef, corn and rotini noodles. Bring back to a boil.
- Reduce heat and cook for 10 minutes and taste. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve hot.
Don’t forget to pin this Beef Noodle Vegetable Soup for later!
Looking fore great recipes to serve with your pot of vegetable soup? Check these out!