Many people think my love of Social Media is downright weird. I’ve been told that I should get off the computer and go talk to my “real friends”. Funny thing is….many of the people I’ve met online are real friends and I’ve met MANY of them in person. (Also, it’s pretty hard to go talk/see my “real friends” when my 3 1/2 year old is asleep in bed.) One of the awesome people I’ve met in real life after talking to them for ages on Twitter is Erin over at @MrsBrits on Twitter. She is such a nice person and will go out of her way to brighten people’s day.
You’re probably wondering what this has to do with cooking. Well, I asked my friends on Twitter what I should include in my mealplan. She piped up and said “Beefy Spanish Rice” so I had to try it. Hope she doesn’t mind me sharing it here. Definitely go visit her & check out her jewelry or follow her on Twitter.
Beefy Spanish Rice
Adapted from here Makes 8-10 servings
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 cup celery, diced small
- 1 cup carrots, diced small
- 1 large onion, diced small
- 1 large can diced tomatoes
- 1 1/2 cup brown rice, cooked
- 1 Tbsp honey
- 1/2 tsp celery salt
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 - 1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- Prepare brown rice per package directions & set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Heat vegetable oil over medium high heat in a large skillet. Add celery, carrots and onions. Cook until the onions become transparent. Add ground beef and cook until browned and crumbled. Drain.
- In a large bowl, combine rice, beef mixture and spices. Spray a 13X9 baking dish with cooking spray. Pour mixture into baking dish.
- Bake for 45 minutes. Sprinkle cheese over the top until covered. Bake for an additional 10 minutes.
- Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 245Saturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 35mgSodium: 213mgCarbohydrates: 33gFiber: 2gSugar: 3gProtein: 15g
Recipe Notes: Dewey and I both really liked this and it makes great leftovers. The kids….not so much. They just aren’t big fans of casseroles.
Check out more great casserole recipes here!
Southern Cornbread Stuffing