Today is my birthday and Dewey asked me what I wanted for breakfast. The first thing that popped in to my mind was BISCUITS! You se, I am from Alabama and biscuits are very, very Southern. My granny made biscuits pretty much every single day. They were heavenly even though they had a big dose of Crisco and a big slathering of Parkay. Since I use both of those ingredients pretty much NEVER, these biscuits aren’t quite the same. They are, however, delicious. Full of butter, flakey goodness and not even a touch sweet (so many recipes call for sugar and that is just WRONG).
My favorite way to enjoy them is with a slice of Jimmy Dean sausage (brought across the border from the US because you can’t get it here) or with honey butter (mix a big pat of butter and honey on your plate and then smear it on your biscuit). Of course butter and jelly are always a hit as well. Do you see a pattern? Biscuits are all about the butter!
Don’g forget that biscuits aren’t just for breakfast either. They are great paired with soups, stews and chill or anything with a sauce. Embrace the under-utilized (other than in the South) quick bread. Mmmmm……
Homemade biscuits make any breakfast better.
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 4 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp cream of tartar
- 1/3 tsp salt
- 1/3 cup cold butter cut in to cubes
- 3/4 cup milk
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees
- Add dry ingredients to a food processor. Then add the butter and pulse until butter is in pea sized lumps.
- Dump flour/butter mixture in to a large bowl.
- Add milk and mix well.
- Dump mixture on a floured surface and knead until the dough comes together. Sprinkle with flour as you turn so it doesn't stick to everything.
- Pat or roll until 3/4 inch thick. Using a knife, cut it into square biscuits (or use a round biscuit cutter...using a dull cutter will make your biscuits rise less).
- Bake for 10 minutes or until golden brown.
- Serve hot.
Biscuits leftoveres freeze well.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 264Saturated Fat: 7gCholesterol: 30mgSodium: 236mgCarbohydrates: 34gFiber: 1gSugar: 1gProtein: 5g
AND my boys decided to sing to me too!