Breakfast can be a challenge in my house, a serious challenge. It’s not the kids, either – it’s me. I swear, one of the greatest days of my life came when my children were old enough to make their own toast and fetch their own cereal. A few peanut butter smears on the counter are well worth the opportunity to sleep in on a Saturday, relatively undisturbed.
But, every once in a while, the domestic breakfast urge strikes. (Who am I kidding? By the time I get to it, it’s brunch at best, maybe even lunch, but I digress.) And when I’m in the mood to whip up some breakfast fare, I like it to be quick and easy and flavourful. Bonus points for reasonably healthy, too.
Baked oatmeal is a go-to around here, because it’s fast and I always have the ingredients on hand. It’s also really easily adapted to whatever flavour you’re feeling the itch to create.
This one reminds me of a crumb-topped blueberry pie – a couple scoops of frozen blueberries and you’re well on your way to creating a little taste of summer at any time of year. Even in February.
- 1 1/2 cups rolled oats
- 3/4 tsp baking powder
- 2 Tbsp brown sugar
- Pinch salt
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 Tbsp butter, melted
- 2 cups blueberries, fresh or frozen
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds
- 1/3 cup room temperature butter
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 2/3 cup flour
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- Preheat oven to 375. In a bowl, mix together oats, brown sugar, baking powder and salt. Whisk in milk, egg, vanilla and butter. Pour into a greased 8x8 pan and sprinkle with blueberries and almonds
- In a separate bowl, blend together streusel ingredients into a crumbly mixture. Sprinkle generously over top of the oatmeal. (Note: This recipe makes way more than you will need, so you can freeze half of this and use it the next time you make this, or sprinkle it on muffins or loaves.)
- Bake for 30-40 minutes, until golden brown.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 468 Saturated Fat: 9g Cholesterol: 65mg Sodium: 152mg Carbohydrates: 59g Fiber: 5g Sugar: 30g Protein: 10g
Don’t forget to pin it for later!
Looking for more great breakfast options? Check out these great recipes!