Pizza is a family favorite in our house. So are eggs. This got me thinking….can I put the two together without it being a major undertaking? Hmmmm. I scoured the internet for different ideas. I stumbled across this fantastic tutorial for making a tortilla pizza in a cast iron skillet from Serious Eats and I knew I was on to something. Now to make it breakfast-y. Eggs to the rescue! Nothing is more breakfast-y than eggs. Add a bit of grilled sausage from last night’s dinner and we had a breakfast pizza!
Make sure to have all your ingredients prepared before you start because these breakfast pizzas go fast. Here’s how I did it in pictures (printable recipe is at the end).
First get all your ingredients ready. Then you will heat up a bit of vegetable oil in a cast iron skillet over medium high heat. Once it is hot, wipe the oil out with a paper towel leaving just a thin coating. Add your tortilla (I had to trim mine to fit my pan) and sauce it with your favorite pizza sauce going all the way to the edge.
Next add your favorite breakfast meat. I used sausage but you could easily use bacon or ham if you prefer.
Last, but not least, add your mozza and a delicious egg.
Once your pizza is built, it is time for the oven. Move your oven rack to the top, place the cast iron skillet in and turn on your broiler. Cook your pizza approximately 3-5 minutes or until the egg is done to your liking. Note that your egg will look shiny even after it is done.
Slide your bubbly and delicious pizza onto a plate and cut it into 4 slices. Enjoy!
Dewey gives it two big thumbs up but suggests that you should add a shot or two of your hot sauce of choice. Yum!
Switch up your breakfast and try this delicious tortilla breakfast pizza!
- 1 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 large flour tortilla
- 2 Tbsp pizza sauce
- 1/4 cup Cooked breakfast meat of your choice, ham, bacon or sausage
- 1/3 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 egg
- Make sure your tortilla covers the bottom of your cast iron skillet. If it is too big, trim around the edge until it just fits. Remove tortilla and put it to the side. Prep all your ingredients before going to the next step.
- Place cast iron skillet on the stove at medium high heat. Add oil and allow to warm until just glistening. Wipe oil out of pan with a paper towel (careful it's hot).
- Place your tortilla in the bottom of the skillet (still on medium high heat).
- Add sauce and spread it all the way to the edges of the tortilla.
- Add your breakfast meat (as much as you like, I used about 1/4 cup).
- Sprinkle cheese on top, making sure to go all the way to the edges. If a little goes off the edge, that is good because it will be deliciously browned cheese.
- Carefully crack egg and add it to the centre of the pizza.
- Turn on your oven's broiler and make sure rack is at the highest setting.
- Place cast iron skillet in the oven under the broiler. Cook for about 3-5 minutes or until the pizza is bubbly and browned and the egg is done to your liking. Note that the egg will continue to look shiny even after it is done.
- Remove pan from oven, slide tortilla pizza out and cut into 4 slices. Enjoy!
- To make additional pizzas, repeat steps (though I didn't bother adding more oil after the first one).
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 403Saturated Fat: 18gCholesterol: 196mgSodium: 691mgCarbohydrates: 18gFiber: 1gSugar: 3gProtein: 17g