Who knew that families need to be fed every single night? What is up with that???? Coming up with yummy food that my family will actually eat is an everyday battle but sometimes I feel like I am making it too hard. Kids don’t want the newest food fad. They want delicious familiar flavors presented in a slightly different way. Do I give in to that every night? No. Otherwise we would eat pasta or pizza every night. I do give in to it occasionally, though, and tonight was one of those nights. Thankfully I had lots of yummy ingredients in the fridge to make this easy and delicious skillet dinner.
Many of these ingredients are also in my Italian Sausage Pasta Bake but by making it a skillet dinner, it comes together much faster. Stirring in a handful of spinach would work well if your littles are okay with green stuff in their pasta (mine is not). You could also add any other vegetables you would like such as onions, green peppers, etc. I also think a handful of sliced pepperoni would turn this into pizza pasta quite easily. Serve with a salad and a piece of garlic toast and you have a complete meal on the table in well under an hour.
Cheesy Italian Sausage Pasta Skillet
- 3 cups cooked pasta of your choice
- 1 pound mild Italian sausage
- 1 red bell pepper cored and diced
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- 1 jar pasta sauce of your choice I like President's Choice Mushroom
- 1/3 cup chili sauce found by the ketchup
- 3/4 cup shredded cheese I used double cheddar
- Prepare pasta per package directions.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, cook Italian sausage that you have squeezed out of the casings. Chop as you cook until browned
- Add bell peppers and mushrooms about half way through cooking the sausage. Continue cooking until sausage is browned and veggies are softened.
- Add pasta sauce and chili sauce. Bring to a bubble, reduce heat and cook for 5 - 10 minutes.
- Add pasta and stir. Heat until everything is warm. Sprinkle cheese over top and cover with a lid until melted. Serve!