Tonight I am attending a birthday tea party. What says tea party more than scones? NOTHING. Maybe it’s the tea, maybe it is my new found addiction to Downton Abbey, maybe it is that they have FLOUR in them and I miss it SO MUCH but scones are my new best friend.
Scones are one thing but cherry almond scones are quite another. I love all things cherry and I have found that almond flavour is the perfect accompaniment. Unfortunately I didn’t have any slivered almonds on hand but the almond extract did the trick. These scones use frozen cherries that I keep in the freezer for smoothies so they were a treat that didn’t even require a trip to the store. WIN!
Cherry Almond Scones
- 2 cups powdered icing sugar
- 3 Tbsp milk
- 1/2 tsp almond extract
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Line 2 cookie sheets with parchment paper.
- In a mixing bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder and baking soda.
- With two knives or a pastry blender, cut the butter in to the flour mixture until the butter is in small crumbs throughout the mixture.
- Add the buttermilk and almond extract to the flour mixture and stir.
- Gently fold in the cherries (don't stir too hard or it the batter will turn pink).
- Drop onto the prepared cookie sheets. I used a large cookie scoop.
- Bake for 15 - 20 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool on the cookie sheet for 10 minutes before you remove them to a wire rack to complete cooling.
- While the scones are cooling, in a small bowl mix glaze ingredients together.
- Drizzle over cooled scones using a fork.