Sending Evan’s lunch every day has been pretty easy so far. He fights against any variance from his standbys of ham sandwich or humus & pita chips. I’m okay with that, though, since both fit into the school lunch policy. We round out his lunch with fruits and veggies and the occasional treat. I wanted to keep it on the straight and narrow until I could suss out Evan’s teacher a bit better. Thankfully, we’ve been smiled upon by the Nice Teacher gods so no worries there.
Today I had a bit of extra time and a bit of extra zucchini. What is a girl to do? Make muffins, of course! These are pretty healthy but the addition of chocolate chips means that kids will think they are a big treat. We won’t break the news to them that they have veggies in them, right?
Use up your summer zucchini with these easy and delicious muffins.
- 1 1/2 cup all purpose flour, I use Nutriblend
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 cup shredded zucchini
- 3/4 cup chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease 12 muffin cups or use muffin papers.
- Mix together first 5 ingredients in a large bowl.
- Mix together milk & lemon juice and let sit for a few minutes.
- Add other wet ingredients to milk/lemon juice mixture. Mix well.
- Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and mix until just blended.
- Fold in zucchini and chocolate chips.
- Fill muffin cups 2/3 full.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean when inserted in the middle of a muffin.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 199Saturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 16mgSodium: 220mgCarbohydrates: 29gSugar: 16gProtein: 3g
Note….somehow I managed to forget to add the egg. They were awesome anyway though I think the egg would add some structural stability so I will add it next time.
What is your favorite muffin to send with your kids?