We are going camping at Ol’ McDonald’s Farm. I’m not sure why I feel the need to make treats like a mad fiend but I do. Last night I was up until 11:30 making Puffed Wheat Squares and Homemade Pretzels. Here are the recipes so I can spread the insanity. Enjoy!
- 3/4 cup corn syrup
- 3/4 cup margarine or butter
- 1 1/2 cups brown sugar
- 1/2 cup cocoa
- 11 cups puffed wheat cereal
- Combine corn syrup, butter, brown sugar and cocoa in a large, heavy sauce pan.
- Boil for 3 minutes; remove from heat.
- Add puffed wheat and combine completely.
- Pour mixture into a 11X13" buttered pan. Press into pan.
- Let cool & cut into squares.
I made two batches. On the first I followed the original recipe and boiled the mixture for 5 minutes. That batch is way to crunchy. I did the next batch for 3 minutes and they seem much chewier (or at least they were last night).
Nutrition Information:Yield: 16
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 247 Saturated Fat: 5g Cholesterol: 22mg Sodium: 92mg Carbohydrates: 42g Sugar: 32g Protein: 2g
Homemade Pretzels – These are oh so yummy! I could type out the recipe but it’s just as easy for you to head over to Lianne’s blog and see for yourself. I did use 2 cups whole wheat flour as a substitute for 2 of the cups of all purpose flour. These were pretty easy though a bit time consuming. I made 8 cinnamon sugar and 8 garlic salt (top pic). Yum!