Here’s another Christmas cookie recipe for your collection. All my friends call this “Crack” because you can’t stop eating it until it is ALL GONE. The really dangerous part of this recipe is that you most likely have all the ingredients you need to make it in your cabinet right now. Having people over? You can make up a pan of this caramelly/toffee/choclatey danger in about 30 minutes. Your guests will rave and you will start plotting when you can make another batch without looking like a complete addict.
Caramel Chocolate Saltine Crunch has that delicious sweet and savoury flavor combo that I LOVE. Wrap it up in little celophane bags and give it out to all your friends. They’ll love you forever. Now for the recipe….
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Prepare a 11X17 rimmed cookie sheet by lining the entire pan with foil and layering parchment on to the bottom of the pan only.
- Arrange the saltines on the bottom of the cookie sheet in a single layer.
- [img src="https://merryabouttown.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/Arrange-the-Saltines-620x348.jpg" alt="Arrange the Saltines" width="620" height="348" class="aligncenter size-medium wp-image-6641"]
- In a heavy saucepan, melt butter and brown sugar together and bring to a boil. Boil for 3 minutes, stirring constantly. Mixture will thicken while boiling.
- [img src="https://merryabouttown.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/Cooking-the-caramel-620x348.jpg" alt="Cooking the caramel" width="620" height="348" class="aligncenter size-medium wp-image-6642"]
- Remove from heat (and add vanilla if you are using it) and immediately pour over the crackers. Spread it quickly because it will set up quickly.
- Bake caramel and crackers for 15 minutes. Keep a close eye on it to ensure that it doesn't burn.
- Remove from the caramel crackers from the oven and sprinkle with chocolate chips.
- Wait 5 minutes and then spread chocolate evenly over the top of the caramel/cracker layer.
- [img src="https://merryabouttown.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/A-Big-Pan-of-Crack-620x348.jpg" alt="A Big Pan of Crack" width="620" height="348" class="aligncenter size-medium wp-image-6643"]
- Cool completely and break in to pieces.
- Try not to eat the whole pan in one sitting.