Here’s another Christmas cookie recipe for your collection. All my friends call this Christmas crack because you can’t stop eating it until it is ALL GONE.
The really dangerous part of this recipe is that you most likely have all the ingredients you need to make it in your cabinet right now.
Having people over? You can make up a pan of this caramelly/toffee/chocolatey danger in about 30 minutes. Your guests will rave and you will start plotting when you can make another batch without looking like a complete addict.
Caramel Chocolate Saltine Crunch has that delicious sweet and savoury flavour combo that I LOVE. Wrap it up in little cellophane bags and give it out to all your friends. They’ll love you forever. Now for the recipe…
Christmas Crack Recipe (Toffee)
- 45 saltine crackers
- 1 cup butter
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 1/2 cups semi sweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup roasted nuts, optional
- 1 tsp vanilla extract, optional
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Prepare a 11X17 rimmed cookie sheet by lining the entire pan with foil and layering parchment on to the bottom of the pan only.
- Arrange the saltines on the bottom of the cookie sheet in a single layer.
- In a heavy saucepan, melt butter and brown sugar together and bring to a boil. Boil for 3 minutes, stirring constantly. Mixture will thicken while boiling.
- Remove from heat (and add vanilla if you are using it) and immediately pour over the crackers. Spread it quickly because it will set up quickly.
- Bake caramel and crackers for 15 minutes. Keep a close eye on it to ensure that it doesn't burn.
- Remove from the caramel crackers from the oven and sprinkle with chocolate chips.
- Wait 5 minutes and then spread chocolate evenly over the top of the caramel/cracker layer.
- Cool completely and break in to pieces.
- Try not to eat the whole pan in one sitting.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 22
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 247 Saturated Fat: 8g Cholesterol: 22mg Sodium: 169mg Carbohydrates: 21g Fiber: 1g Sugar: 14g Protein: 3g