Taking ingredients from the pantry and morphing them into something warm and delicious is a passion of mine. Unfortunately I haven’t been cooking nearly enough lately. Today I decided to change that. While it was pretty warm outside today, it still looks like fall so I was craving soup. Instead of my usual go to soups, I decided to try making something with the bag of red lentils in the pantry. After adding a bit of this and a bit of that, it turned in to a warm pot of lovely stew that went perfectly with a big pan of cornbread (look for the recipe soon).
Evan didn’t eat this tonight because I didn’t start it until late. While the recipe calls for curry powder, the soup isn’t spicy hot. It is full of flavor but not heat. The flavors are even better the second day when they have had time to meld. Feel free to add/subtract/change the vegetables you use in this recipe. That is what I love about stews…they are infinitely flexible. I think green beans, kale, corn or zucchini would all be great additions. Serve it up with a big green salad and some kind of crusty bread and you are set. It makes a big pot, too, so you will have leftovers for lunch the next day.
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium onion, peeled and diced
- 2 large carrots, peeled and diced
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and minced
- 2 cups red split lentils, rinsed and drained
- 5 1/2 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 3 medium red potatoes, cut into chunks
- 1 Tbsp curry powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- 2 Tbsp lemon juice
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a large soup pot, heat olive oil over medium high heat. Add onions, carrots and garlic and cook until starting to soften (about 3-5 minutes).
- Add lentils, broth and water to the pot. Bring to a boil.
- Lower heat and add potatoes. Simmer for about 20 minutes.
- Add curry powder and cumin to the pot and simmer for another 10 - 20 minutes until lentils and vegetables are tender.
- Add lemon juice.
- Taste soup and add salt and pepper to taste.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 361Sodium: 830mgCarbohydrates: 59gFiber: 21gSugar: 4gProtein: 19g
Check out more delicious Soup and Stew Recipes below!