Evan had his first cinnamon rolls at Nana’s house. He LOVED them! When I told him we were going to have a Mommy weekend the only thing he specifically asked to do was to make cinnamon rolls. I’ve never tried to make them so I was a little worried but I figured “how hard can it be?”
Here’s the recipe all in one place. Step by step instructions with pictures is below.
Quick and easy homemade cinnamon rolls
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1/3 cup butter, softened
- 1 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 3/4 cup all purpose flour
- .25 oz packet quick rise yeast
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 egg
- 1 cup dark brown sugar, packed
- 1 Tbsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- Heat milk in a small sauce pan until it starts to bubble. Remove from heat and add butter. Cool to lukewarm.
- In a large bowl mix the whole wheat flour, 3/4 cup of the all purpose flour, yeast, sugar and salt. Add the milk mixture, egg and water. Mix well. Add remaining flour and mix well.
- Turn out onto a floured surface and knead for 5 minutes. Cover with a damp towel and let the dough rest for 10 minutes.
- Mix brown sugar, cinnamon and butter in a small bowl.
- Prepare a 11X13 pan by coating the bottom and sides with butter. Leave a bit of extra butter in the bottom if you want extra gooey cinnamon-y goodness on the bottom.
- Roll out the dough into a 12X9 rectangle. Spread butter mixture evenly across the dough.
- Roll up and pinch the seam to seal. Cut into 12 equal rolls. Place in the prepared pan, cover and let rise until doubled (usually around 30 mins).
- Bake in a preheated 375 degree oven for 30 minutes or until golden brown.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 501Saturated Fat: 12gCholesterol: 73mgSodium: 341mgCarbohydrates: 72gFiber: 3gSugar: 34gProtein: 7g
Recipe Notes: So my rolls didn’t really rise like they were supposed to. Thankfully when I baked them they poofed up wonderfully. These turned out so well. YUMMY!