It was -20 in Calgary today. That is just TOO COLD for this Alabama girl. No matter what I do, I can’t seem to get warm. Hot tea, blanket, socks…I still needed something more. Cold and snowy winter days call for warm and hearty stew in the crockpot for dinner. Throw all the ingredients in and you have supper ready when you get home from your wintery drive. Love this recipe for Creamy Crockpot Chicken and Mushroom stew. Delicious!
Creamy Crockpot Chicken and Mushroom Stew
- 12 oz button mushrooms halved
- 14 oz dried chanterelles
- 1 medium onion diced
- 2 cloves garlic pressed
- 1/2 tsp tarragon or thyme
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp fresh ground pepper
- 12 boneless skinless chicken thighs, trimmed and quartered
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 1 Tbsp grainy mustard
- 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1/4 cup 10% cream
- 2 tsp white wine vinegar
- Combine mushrooms, onions, garlic, and spices in your slow cooker. Top with chicken thigh pieces.
- Mix together broth, wine and mustard and pour it over the chicken. Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours.
- About 20 minutes before you want the dish to be done, whisk flour with 1 cup of the cooking liquid from the slow cooker. Stir into the chicken stew and let cook for about 15 minutes or until thickened. Stir in cream and white wine vinegar right before serving.