Autumn weather has hit Calgary…well, for this week anyway. Cool and rainy weather always puts me in the mood for soups and stews. I love that they are filling, easy and delicious. If I can make it in the crockpot, even better.
Beef and barley soup is something I never ate before I moved to Canada. My family never made it that I can remember. It was a favorite of Nana’s, though, so I learned to love it. Plus I know that it brings back pleasant memories for him. I decided that I needed to make it as soon as the weather turned cooler.
Well, here we are with the weather so I set out to find a recipe that worked for me. I made a bit of a mistake, though, I only bought a pound of stew meet. Next time I will use double the amount. In the recipe, I will record the amount that I will use next time instead of the amount that I used for this batch.
Crockpot Beef and Barley Stew
- 1 - 2 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 pounds beef stew meat
- 4 carrots peeled and chopped into rounds
- 1 onion chopped
- 3 cloves garlic pressed
- 1 cup small button mushrooms
- 3 Tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tsp thyme
- 1 L beef broth
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 3 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 3/4 cup pearl barley
- Preheat oil in a large skillet. Season beef with salt and pepper and brown all sides and add to slow cooker.
- Add onions, garlic, carrots and mushrooms to the skillet and cook until they start to soften.
- Add tomato paste, thyme, beef broth, chicken broth and Worcestershire sauce. Simmer for 2-3 minutes and then pour into the slow cooker. Add uncooked barley. Stir.
- Cook on low for 7-8 hours or on high for 4-5 hours.
Perfect for a cool fall or winter evening. Just serve with a nice dinner bun and YUM!