My CrockPot is hands down my most used kitchen appliance. Throw in your ingredients, turn it on and forget it until dinner. It is a busy moms life saver. Unfortunately, sometimes recipes can be a bit blah or include ingredients that I don’t really like to use (like canned soup). Thankfully, this recipe for Crock Pot Tamale Pie does not have those issues.
I have everything I need to make tamale pie in the pantry at any given time and the whole family loves it. While this recipe isn’t what I would consider spicy, definitely leave out the extra 1/2 tsp of chili powder to make it even more kid friendly. Want to kick up the heat? Add a bit more.
You can also add a few canned chilis to the tamale filling and the cornbread crust for an extra chili kick. This recipe is infinitely flexible so change it up if you like!
I love that it has the taste of delicious chili and cornbread made together in the slow cooker. Throw all your ingredients in and you will have a delicious meal ready for dinner. Pair it with a green salad and dinner prep is done. I also like to have extra shredded cheese, sour cream and hot sauce available if anyone wants to kick their Crock Pot Tamale Pie up a notch.
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1/2 medium onion, chopped
- 1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can niblet corn, drained and rinsed
- 28 oz stewed tomatoes
- 1 packet taco seasoning
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 ground black pepper
- 1 egg, beaten
- 3/4 cup buttermilk or sour milk
- 3/4 shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- Brown hamburger meat and onions in a large skillet over medium-high heat until no pink remains. Drain and add burger mixture to slow cooker.
- Add beans, corn, tomatoes and spices to slow cooker and stir. (I used my spoon to chop the tomato pieces up a bit.)
- Cook on low for 6-7 hours or on high for 3-4 hours.
- One hour before you would like to eat, mix up ingredients for cornbread crust (including half the shredded cheese).
- Turn slow cooker to high and pour cornbread batter over the top of the tamale filling mixture. Sprinkle remaining cheese on the top of the batter.
- Cook for one hour or until toothpick pushed in to the cornbread crust comes out clean.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 364Saturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 84mgSodium: 714mgCarbohydrates: 30gFiber: 4gSugar: 7gProtein: 18g
Products you might enjoy. Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links. By clicking through these links, I will make a small percentage of your purchase without it affecting the cost to you.
Crock-Pot 6-Quart Programmable Cook & Carry Slow Cooker with Digital Timer, Stainless Steel , SCCPVL610-SCrock-Pot 4-Quart Cook & Carry Oval Manual Slow Cooker, Red Stainless SteelCrock-Pot Swing and Serve Slow Cooker, Stainless SteelSlow-Cooker Recipes Cookbook (Everyday Cookbook Collection)iNeibo Kitchen silicone serving spoon – With Strong Silicone Covering Head And Stay-cool Stainless Steel HandleBUTEFO 8 in 1 Kitchen Tool Set – All in 1 Multipurpose Kitchen Gadget – Kitchen Tool BottleMAIRICO Ultra Sharp Premium Heavy Duty Kitchen Shears and Multi Purpose ScissorsRioRand Soup Ladle 3 Piece Nylon Dishwasher Safe Kitchen Utensil Cookware Loch Ness Monster, Green, Blue and Pink
Love your Crock Pot? Have a look at these great recipes!