The late days of summer are upon us. Hot, humid days that remind me of the summers of my childhood spent at my Granny and Grandaddy’s house. August days were for blackberry picking, apple drying, jelly making and all kinds of canning. I am not nearly that ambitious these days but I still love fresh summer fruit. We are lucky that we have a small neighborhood market very near our house. Evan and I love walking down to see what the market holds. Yesterday, we were excited to see all kinds of fruits and vegetables on display. In fact, Evan tried white currants, red currants, black currents and gooseberries. While he explored the world of berries, I was mesmerized by the peaches. Visions of peach cobbler danced in my head……mmmmm.
Reality set in that, after a summer of eating and drinking more than I should, I probably could do without a big pan of peach cobbler in my life. So I set out to figure out how I could get a similar taste without all the calories and butter. After a bit of reading, I decided to try my hand at grilled peaches. Oh my goodness, they were delicious AND the perfect way to keep summer going just a *little* bit longer. The grilling enhances the sweetness of the peaches making them delicious with very little help….just a perfect scoop of vanilla ice cream.
- 4 ripe but still firm peaches, cut in half and pitted
- 4 tsps Agave Nectar
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon, approx
- 2 tsp canola oil, approx
- 4 scoops vanilla ice cream
- Heat your bbq grill to 350 degrees.
- Brush cut side of peaches lightly with oil.
- Place peaches cut side down on the grill and cook for about 5 minutes.
- Turn peaches over so the cut side is up.
- Top each peach half with with a swirl of Agave (about 1/2 tsp) and a sprinkle of cinnamon.
- Continue to cook until the peaches have softened but are not falling apart (about 12 minutes total depending on ripeness).
- Place 2 piece halves in a bowl, top with vanilla ice cream and garnish with mint if desired.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 249 Saturated Fat: 4g Cholesterol: 29mg Sodium: 53mg Carbohydrates: 38g Fiber: 3g Sugar: 33g Protein: 3g
Disclosure: I am part of the Life Made Delicious Blogger program and I receive special perks as part of my affiliation with this group. The opinions on this blog are my own.