Do you ever think “Hmmm…what should I have for lunch today? I’m thinking I want something more interesting than a cold sandwich. Let’s see what we have.”
That is me….OFTEN. I don’t love cold sandwiches. I just don’t.
Last week, I had this convo in my head (because I talk to myself often). The cool part is that I was lucky enough to have some fabulous sourdough bread from Glamorgan bakery and some mini San Marzano tomatoes. Grilled cheese it is!
And don’t worry if you don’t like my combo, the world is your oyster when it comes to grilled cheese sandwiches. Put in anything you like: bacon, pesto, any variety of cheese, granny smith apples, basil, fig jam, etc.
A few tips:
- If you are using tomatoes, I prefer to use grape or cherry tomatoes because they fit into a bite more easily. No one wants molten lava tomato on their chin!
- Butter your bread and place it in a hot pan. Layer ingredients on top and finish with a piece of bread that is butter side up.
- Your pan needs to be hot but not too hot. Keep an eye on the temperature as you want the cheese to melt without burning the bread.
- Don’t forget seasonings, sauces, jams and jellies often make excellent additions to a grilled cheese.
And now….I’m drooling. On to the recipe!
Delicious Italian Grilled Cheese
- 2 slices of good sourdough bread tho any bread will do in a pinch
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1/3 cup shredded Italiano cheese or any cheese you have on hand
- 1/3 cup grape or cocktail tomatoes cut in half lengthwise
- Italiano seasoning or similar
- Preheat a heavy pan over medium high heat.
- Butter one of the pieces of sourdough. Place it butter side down in the preheated pan.
- Quickly add half of the shredded cheese and top with the tomatoes. Sprinkle with seasoning and add remaining cheese. Top with the second piece of bread, butter side up.
- Cook over medium to medium high heat until the bottom bread is browned and the cheese is melting. Carefully flip the sandwich over and brown the other side.
- Cut in half and enjoy.