After an amazingly warm and long autumn, Calgary has become the wintery wonderland that I know and…er…love? Not sure about the love part but the winter part is totally true. Blowing snow and minus double digit temperatures call out for a warm bowl of soup like this easy Cabbage Roll Soup.
Sometimes I feel like I have fallen into a soup rut. Tonight I decided to make something a bit different than our usual beef noodle soup. A head of cabbage in the crisper was crying out for a bit of love so off I went looking for a recipe for soup featuring cabbage. Next thing I knew I was slicing and dicing everything needed for this delicious cabbage roll soup. It came together quickly and then bubbled happily on the stove while I chatted with Evan. Perfect for a cold and blustery night at home with the family.
Cabbage Roll Soup Recipe
Easy and Delicious Cabbage Roll Soup
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 3 carrots peeled and chopped
- 3 garlic cloves pressed
- half head cabbage chopped
- 8 cups low-sodium chicken broth 2- 1 litre tetra packs
- 1 large can of diced tomatoes
- 3/4 cup uncooked white rice
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 Tbsp salt
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 Tbsp white vinegar
- Additional salt and pepper to taste
- In a large soup pot, cook hamburger meat until browned. Drain fat.
- Add onions and carrots to the meat and cook until starting to soften (3-5 minutes).
- Add garlic, cabbage, chicken broth, tomatoes, rice, paprika, bay leaf and salt. Stir well and bring to a boil.
- Cover and reduce heat to low. Simmer for 20 - 25 minutes or until rice and cabbage are tender.
- Stir in sugar, Worcestershire sauce and vinegar. Taste and season as necessary. I added a LOT of salt so do not be afraid to add quite a bit if it needs it. Otherwise the soup will not be as tasty.
Looking for more delicious soup recipes? Check out these great recipes!