How did I end up making easy beef stroganoff today? Well, when you buy a random pack of beef and think “Hmmm…what should I make with this?” it is quickly followed by “What will Evan actually eat that I can make with this?”
While I still wouldn’t call Evan a picky eater, what he will eat has gone way, way down. Even foods that he has loved in the past just don’t interest him. He is still growing and is healthy but it makes me worry when he doesn’t eat. Maybe I just have an air plant for a son.
Anyway…I digress. Tonight I decided to try Beef Stroganoff. It is a retro dish for a reason, lots of yumminess in a fairly straightforward and un-frightening way (to a 7 year old). When I said this is what we were having, Evan said “What is that?” and was very noncommittal about trying it much less eating it.
However, once I served it up and he actually tried, he cleaned his plate. Yep, he ate every last bite. Go Evan! Popular with Evan plus on the table in under an hour means I can see myself making this more in the future. Score!
Easy Beef Stroganoff
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 onion sliced thin or ~1 Tbsp onion powder, I used powder as Evan hates onions
- 1 1/2 pounds tender beef cut into 1/2 thick strips, not stew meat
- 1 1/2 cups broth, separated (I used chicken b/c that is what I had)
- 1/2 tsp seasoning salt
- 2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1 cup sour cream
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 3 cups cooked pasta
- Cook your favorite pasta per the package directions while you make this dish.
- Preheat a large skillet over medium high heat and melt butter.
- Add mushrooms, garlic and onion powder to the pan and cook until mushrooms are starting to soften.
- Remove mushroom mixture from pan and set aside in a bowl.
- Add beef to the pan and cook until browned. There may be water/juice in the pan. Do not drain.
- Add 1 cup of broth, seasoning salt and Worcestershire sauce to the pan and bring to a boil. Turn heat down to simmer and cook for 15 minutes.
- Whisk together flour with remaining 1/2 cup broth and pour in to beef and broth mixture. Add mushrooms and bring to a boil. Boil for 1-2 minutes (mixture will thicken).
- Reduce heat and add sour cream. Warm up but do not let boil. Serve on top of hot noodles. Salt and pepper to taste.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 523Saturated Fat: 15gCholesterol: 110mgSodium: 591mgCarbohydrates: 26gFiber: 1gSugar: 3gProtein: 24g