We already know I am a soup fan, right? Well, my new favourite soup is this easy carrot soup that my friend Melissa introduced me to. It only has 5 ingredients and is super easy to make. Who knew that a soup with so few ingredients could be THIS good. Today I paired it with my garlic and cheese beer bread for a hearty lunch with friends.
Since this recipe for easy carrot soup is so easy and all…make sure to use the best ingredients you can. I am NOT a believer in eating all things organic but I have found that organic carrots just taste better. I have no idea why. So splurge on organic carrots or, even better, pick some up at your local farmer’s market for this soup. You won’t regret it because the flavour is so worth it.
The hardest part of this soup is peeling and chopping the onions and carrots, which isn’t hard at all! You will also need to puree the soup. This is easy peasy if you have an immersion blender. Mine is in Calgary so I had to use the Vitamix which worked great but took a while as you have to blend the soup in batches. If you use a blender, don’t overfill your jar as hot + an over full blender can end with carrot soup on your ceiling.
As you cook the carrots, the natural sweetness shines through. The soup is subtley sweet but you can easily balance that with added salt or cheese if it isn’t your thing. I love how you can add all kinds of different toppings to make the soup your own. My favourites are a swirl of cream, Boursin, sriracha and leftover corn on the cob kernals (or some combination of all of these). Dewey can’t stand sweet soup but loved this one topped with boursin and sriracha.
One more thing to note, this easy carrot soup freezes beautifully since it doesn’t contain dairy. Ladle it into ziplock bags and freeze flat for easily stackable and thawable soup for later.
Easy Carrot Soup Recipe
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 onions, diced
- 2 pounds carrots, peeled and chopped
- 5 cups chicken broth
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a large stock pot, heat olive oil and add onions. Stir and cook until onions begin to soften and caramelize. Approximately 7-10 minutes.
- Add carrots and stir to coat with olive oil. Cook on medium heat for 30 minutes or until the carrots are soft with the pan partially covered.
- Add chicken broth and heat through. Use a blender or immersion blender (preferred) to blend soup until smooth.
- Salt and pepper to taste. Garnish with cream, Boursin cheese or Sriracha (or a combo of the three) or eat as is. Enjoy!
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 124Saturated Fat: 1gSodium: 617mgCarbohydrates: 14gFiber: 3gSugar: 6gProtein: 1g
Don’t forget to check out my other soup recipes on MerryAboutTown! Tis the season for soup!