Hanging out at the lake is FABULOUS…until dinnertime rolls around. We get stuck in the bbq’ed meat, salad and side rut quite often. This week we found a great new one pan meal that we all loved…. Chicken Burrito Skillet!
Earlier, I came across a video for Mexican Beef ‘n Rice Skillet from Delish. I was in love. Unfortunately, I didn’t have beef, or green chilis or fire roasted tomatoes or cumin. This was beginning to look like one of those terrible “I changed everything and it tasted AWFUL. Your recipe is bad!” comment from my blog.
Instead, I changed a few things and made it a Chicken Burrito Skillet. My family LOVED it. Like “please make this again” loved it.
They liked the Mexican style seasoning, the rice and the black beans…oh and the cheese. I loved that it came together with items that I have in my pantry every day and I could truly make it in one pan. It’s the perfect meal for a busy summer day on the boat or an after school evening when everyone needs to run out the door.
Now this has become one of our go to recipes for dinner along with my Cheeseburger Pasta Skillet (my fave!) and my Italian Sausage and Boursin Pasta Skillet. Now I keep the main ingredients for these on hand at all time. It has changed our dinner lives. No more “what are we going to eat today?” issues.
Chicken Burrito Skillet Recipe
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 chicken breasts, cut into cubes
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 cup uncooked white rice, I used Minute Rice
- 15 oz can of diced tomatoes
- 1 1/2 cup whole kernel corn, I used the corn off of two cobs
- 1 can can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 Tbsp Chicken Fajita Seasoning, or make your own
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 1/2 cups shredded cheese, I used Tex Mex
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet.
- Add chopped onions and cook until they start to soften.
- Add garlic and chicken. Cook until chicken starts to brown on the outside and is no longer pink in the middle.
- Push to one side and add white rice.Stir a few times to warm it.
- Add tomatoes, corn and beans. Sprinkle with fajita seasoning.
- Pour chicken broth over everything and stir. Bring to a boil and then reduce heat to simmer for 20 minutes.
- Stir. Sprinkle cheese on top and place lid on top for 2 minutes or until cheese melts.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 463Saturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 94mgSodium: 1101mgCarbohydrates: 47gFiber: 6gSugar: 2gProtein: 38g
I can’t wait to make this again. So yummy!