We are having a FANTASTIC summer in Calgary. It has been sunny and hot. I know that is what summer is supposed to be like but in Calgary there are no guarantees. Often summers have a bit of warm weather and then they are dreary and rainy. So far this year has exceeded my expectations and I am loving it. The only time the heat is not a good thing is when you need to use the oven or stove to cook. Hot weather + no air conditioning = misery. Instead, I have been making lots of cool and delicious salads.
I love salads that use fresh ingredients and last for a few days in the refrigerator. Bean salad is one of Dewey’s favorite salads I make and he requests it often. I am calling this a corn and mixed bean salad because it has much more corn than my normal bean salad has. I bought corn on the cob at the market because it was on sale. We had a house full of people so I cooked a dozen cobs. After dinner we had six left over. Instead of letting all that delicious corn go to waste, I cut it off the cob to make a salad with it. It was the perfect side dish for our meal AND it lasted for days. We even added it to steak wraps we made a few days later with leftover steak. YUM!
An easy make ahead salad for a cookout or potluck.
- 1 1/2 cup whole kernel corn
- 1 can mixed beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 red, yellow or orange bell pepper, diced
- 10 - 12 cherry tomatoes, quartered
- 1/4 medium red onion, diced
- 3 tbsp poppy seed dressing
- Mix all ingredients together in a non-reactive bowl.
- Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour before serving for flavors to meld (you can serve it right away, it just may not be as tasty).
- Enjoy as a side dish, over lettuce as a salad or as a condiment on wraps.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 125Sodium: 97mgCarbohydrates: 18gFiber: 4gSugar: 1gProtein: 5g
Looking for other great summer salads? Check out my Cucumber and Red Onion salad.