Recently, we had friends over before a concert. I wanted to feed everyone dinner while still getting to the concert in time to hear all the music. After scratching my head a bit, I had the perfect idea….crockpot pulled pork sandwiches!
I am from Alabama and I LOVE barbecue. I’ve included a recipe for coleslaw too because to be truly authentic you need to pile some on top of your pulled pork. You will not regret it!
***Quick aside: Yes, I know that cooking pork in a slow cooker does not give the same quality of barbecue as slow roasted barbecue. Yeah, yeah, I know. However, this is really good and doesn’t require a smoker.**
Recipes like this one can give you your summer back. Entertaining doesn’t require you to miss all the fun while you work in the kitchen. Gather a few recipes that you can make ahead and enjoy the summer outside of the kitchen!
CrockPot Pulled Pork with Creamy Coleslaw
- 3/4 cup lite mayonnaise
- 1/3 cup lite sour cream
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 Tbsp vinegar
- 3/4 tsp seasoned salt
- 1/2 tsp ground mustard
- 1/4 tsp celery seed
- 1 1/2 bags coleslaw mix
- In a standard size slow cooker, arrange onion slices and garlic on the bottom of the crock.
- Pour in beef broth and water.
- In a small bowl, mix together brown sugar, chill powder, cumin, cinnamon and pepper.
- Pat pork tenderloins with paper towels and rub with spice mixture.
- Place tenderloins on top of onion mixture.
- Cook on high 6-8 hours or on low for 10-12 hours.
- Once cooked, remove tenderloins to a plate and pull with two forks.
- Place in a casserole dish and add cooked onions and broth back to the pork until just moistened.
- Keep warm in the oven (I find this works better than the crockpot) or serve immediately.
- Serve with your favorite barbecue sauce, coleslaw and buns.
- Mix mayo, sour cream, vinegar, sugar, salt, mustard and celery seed in a medium bowl.
- Stir in coleslaw mix to taste.
- Mixture will get more "wet" as it sit so stir in more cabbage than you think.
- Let sit in the refrigerator for at least 1 hour before serving.
Looking for more, great CrockPot recipes like this CrockPot Pulled Pork? Check these out!