After a week of snow, all I wanted was a big bowl of soup….creamy Thai coconut soup with lemongrass and lime juice to be exact. Yes, please!
This soup is pretty quick and simple. I made it while Dewey and Evan were having fun at the sledding hill. I can see tweaking the recipe depending on what vegetables I have in the fridge.
No broccoli? Sub onions and carrots or maybe sweet potato (though you may want to par boil it first). Don’t want chicken? Try it with shrimp. Whatever you add to the soup pot, you can rest assured that it will be delicious!
The soup base has a fantastic flavor that will work well with many variations. I cut back the coconut milk to one can (down from 3 in the original recipe) to cut down on fat and calories while still getting the creamy, yumminess of coconut milk. I hope you enjoy it as much as we did!
Easy Thai Coconut Soup with Chicken
- 1 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 1/2 tsp red curry paste, amount may vary depending on spiciness of paste used
- 1 inch fresh ginger, peeled and minced
- 6 inches fresh lemongrass, cut into 3 sections and then halved
- 5 cups chicken broth
- 1 Tbsp light brown sugar
- 3 Tbsp fish sauce
- 1 chicken breast, sliced thin
- 1 can coconut milk, not lite
- 1 cup broccoli
- 1/2 pound mushrooms, I used brown
- 3 Tbsp fresh lime juice
- Salt to taste
- tomato, bean sprouts, cilantro, soy sauce or fresh lime for garnish
- Turn on the vent fan above your stove (no really...turn it on).
- Heat oil in a large soup pan. Add curry paste, ginger and lemongrass.
- Cook for one minute.
- Pour chicken broth over mixture and stir until mixed well.
- Bring to a boil.
- Add sliced chicken, brown sugar and fish sauce.
- Reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add coconut milk, broccoli and mushrooms.
- Cook until mushrooms are done and broccoli is tender crisp (about 5 minutes).
- Add lime juice.
- Remove lemongrass and discard.
- Serve hot with garnishes listed above to taste. You can also serve this over cooked rice stick noodles or rice.
Add more chicken & veggies if you have more hearty eaters. Add more or less curry paste depending on how hot you want the soup to be.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 315 Saturated Fat: 21g Cholesterol: 18mg Sodium: 2192mg Carbohydrates: 14g Fiber: 1g Sugar: 5g Protein: 12g
Soup weather has definitely arrived! What is your favorite kind of soup?
Looking for more Soup Recipes from MerryAboutTown? Check these out:
Simple Slow Cooker Turkey Noodle Soup – Perfect for using up leftovers at Thanksgiving and Christmas. Don’t have leftovers? Chicken works just as well.
Kid Friendly Mini Meatball Soup – Tiny meatballs and pasta means that kids will love this warm bowl of soup.
Crock Pot Split Pea Soup Recipe – My hubby’s very favourite recipe. It’s a great way to use up leftover ham, too.
Coconut Curry Crock Pot Beef Stew Recipe – A warm stew recipe with coconut and curry. Yum!