It has been snowing like CRAZY this week in Calgary. We have about a foot of snow & it is FREEZING so outdoor activities aren’t all that comfortable. Though I sometimes start to feel like a sloth because I don’t get as much exercise, I do love a nice snowy weekend at home.
1. Bake cookies! – There are so many reasons that this is a great activity. First….there are cookies! Second….it teaches children about math and following directions. Third….it’s FUN! Some recipes to try: Ultimate Chocolate Chip Cookies, Snickerdoodles and Soft Ginger Cookies
2. Play board games. – If you are a Type A like me, the first thing you MUST do to make this enjoyable is let go of your need to make sure everyone follows the rules. Evan loves board games but they rarely look like the games you would recognize. Regardless, they can bring hours (or at least minutes) of fun to the whole family. Evan loves dominoes & the Richard Scary Busy Town game.
3. Crafts! – Evan loves doing crafts but often I use the whole “we don’t have time” excuse. If you are stuck in the house, that is not an issue. Some of his favorites are blowing food coloring on white paper with a straw and making window clings.
4. Call it a jammy day! – Evan and I haven’t done this in a while but it is a favorite around here. We stay in our jammies all day, watch family movies & drink hot cocoa.
5. Sledding – I know, I know….you can’t do this indoors but I’ve found that sometimes you have to leave the house or everyone will go stir crazy! I was a sledding avoider until this year. I must admit that it is really fun (though a little scary). We have an awesome sledding hill by Evan’s elementary school. In fact, I think we are going to head there tomorrow.
Other things I did this weekend that I wouldn’t reccomend nearly as much: cleaning the basement, getting rid of old furniture, unpacking. Stick to the fun stuff people!