Disclosure: This post for gluten free cupcakes is sponsored by President’s Choice. They gave me a selection of their gluten free products to try. All opinions are my own. I would not tell you to buy cake mix that tastes like sawdust. Pinky swear.
Gluten free. Do those two words send shivers through your foodie bones? They do mine. In the past, words like yucky, dense, sandy and gross were words I used to describe gluten free foods. Thankfully, food companies are working to make things better for people who are gluten intolerant and celiac. One brand working tirelessly on this is President’s Choice. Last week I posted about their awesome lactose-free products (and the yummy Lactose-free nachos I made) and this week I want to share some of their gluten free products. Specifically, their gluten free cake mix that I used to make these Gluten Free Double Chocolate Marshmallow Cupcakes.
In the past, I have tried quite a few gluten free cupcakes. I’m not celiac or intolerant but I’ve still managed to try quite a few gluten free things. Maybe just because they are cupcakes…and I will never say not to a cupcake (except that one time that the gluten free cupcake tasted like sand and I spit it out…but I digress). I can honestly say that these were the first cupcakes that I wouldn’t have known at first bite that they were gluten free. This says a LOT because now I can make these for everyone at a gathering where someone is gluten free. I don’t have to make one “real” dessert and one “I’m so sorry but it is gluten free so it tastes horrible” dessert.
They are super light and somewhat structurally instable. Once you pull of the muffin wrapper, be ready to scarf it down because it is not going to hold together perfectly. These are two things I can totally forgive for a perfectly gluten free cupcake. Oh and in case you are wondering…Evan and Dewey both LOVED them. They were so good that I even gave some to the neighbours. No one is giving away gluten-free nastiness, right? So you know they are delicious!
Not gluten free or don’t live near a President’s Choice/Loblaw store? You can use another cake mix in place of the one I used. If it is gluten free and not PC, I can’t guarantee it won’t taste like sawdust.
Double Chocolate Marshmallow Gluten Free Cupcakes
Scroll to the bottom for the full ingredient list and instructions.
For this recipe, we use ingredients that you probably have in your cupboard to make these cupcakes over the top. As I mentioned earlier, you can still use this recipe with a different cake mix but if you are gluten free, I highly recomend the one shown above. Mix up the cake mix per the instructions on the back and fill paper muffin cups (in a muffin tin of course). Let the cupcakes cool completely while you make the toppings.
The ganache is what makes this recipe double chocolate. Note that this is a bittersweet ganache but that works perfectly with the sweeter marshmallow frosting. It is easy peasy to make with cream, vanilla and dark chocolate melted together in the microwave!
Making the marshmallow frosting is the most complex part of this recipe and it is really not that hard. I would make it again for sure. I didn’t have a great heatproof bowl to saucepan ratio. I think a bigger pan and a bigger bowl would work much better. My marshmallow ended up a bit grainy because of this. However, it was still super delicious and no one complained.
Ready to get started? Here’s the recipe!
Marshmallow chocolate cupcakes that also happen to be gluten free! Yum!
- 1 pkg PC® Gluten-Free Chocolate Cake Mix
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened (or vegetable oil)
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup chopped dark chocolate (70% or higher cocoa solids)
- 1/4 cup 35% whipping cream
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 large egg whites
- 1-1/4 cups granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 tbsp corn syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp cream of tartar
- Toasted coconut flakes, optional
- Follow package direction to make 12 cupcakes.
- Combine chocolate, cream and vanilla in medium microwave-safe bowl. Microwave until melted, 30 to 40 seconds. Stir until smooth; set aside to cool and thicken slightly.
- Combine egg whites, sugar, water, corn syrup, vanilla and cream of tartar in medium heatproof bowl. Place bowl over saucepan of simmering water. Using electric mixer, beat on medium speed until stiff peaks form, about 5 minutes.
- Remove bowl from saucepan; continue to beat until frosting is cooled, about 2 minutes.
- Stir ganache and spoon over top of cupcakes. Refrigerate until ganache is set, about 20 minutes (I didn't do this but it would help keep the frosting separate instead of mixing a bit).
- To finish, generously spoon a dollop of remaining frosting on top and sprinkle with coconut flakes (if using). You will have marshmallow frosting leftover; save for another use.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 306Saturated Fat: 8gCholesterol: 54mgSodium: 225mgCarbohydrates: 43gSugar: 27gProtein: 4g