Christmas time is coming and it is time to get into the holiday spirit. Unfortunately, it sometimes isn’t that easy. I’ve been feeling the Christmas magic a bit less this year. There are a few reasons for that…the loss of my mother-in-law, Claire, since last Christmas, being away for Christmas Day and just a general sense of blah. Since Christmas is my favourite holiday, I am giving myself a kick in the pants to get into the holiday spirit whether I like it or not. Here are a few things that have worked in the past and that I am going to try again this year.
Holiday Spirit Booster – Giving Back
Few things get you out of a funk faster than helping those in need. Great ways to help are:
- Adopt a family – Many social organizations will pair you with a family in need this Christmas. Since the cost can be high, this is a great option for groups of friends, extended families or work groups to do. I am participating in adopting a family through a group of friends and through Evan’s school.
- Adopt a senior – Many seniors centres have programs where you can adopt a senior for Christmas.
- Donate to the Food Bank – Food Banks are often visited more often in the winter months. Food items are always in demand as are items like diapers, formula and toiletries. I love this idea from Dinner with Julie to do a reverse Advent Calendar to donate.
- Give on the street – Instead of rolling your eyes at someone asking for change, give it to them. I am guilty of this….I’m ashamed to say it. Today someone asked me for money for food. I gave it to him with a smile. Instead of trying to determine if he really “needed” it, I just did it. It felt great. Give without trying to determine if the person “deserves” it. Your gift is special. Period. End stop. What they do with it is on them.
- Support organizations that help those in need in your Christmas giving. I love World Vision. If I am giving you a gift….you may get a goat. You’ve been warned.
- Donate warm clothes – Winter is hardest on those in need. Donate winter gear to your local homeless shelter or outreach program.
Holiday Spirit Booster – Give the Unexpected Gift
Now I am NOT a gift giver to all the people. Some people are and that is awesome but I’m just not. Chances are, if you are not in my immediate family, you will never receive a gift from me. Except maybe one of these:
- Cookies, cookies and more cookies – I love baking gifts for neighbors, mail carriers, sanitation workers, coworkers…everyone really. Looking for great recipes? Look no further than my posts for 12 unique Christmas cookies and 10 Christmas cookies you should try.
- Give a free coffee – Everyone loves Starbucks (well….maybe not everyone but most people). I bought a pack of gift cards and loaded each of them with $5. I am planning to hand them out randomly to people I see who look like they could use a lift. A great way to spread the joy.
Holiday Spirit Booster – Be the Spirit You Want to See
- Say hi to people
- Open doors
- Help others struggling with their kids, bags, etc.
So what do you think? Will this help me get out of my funk? Here’s hoping. What is your best tip for getting into the holiday spirit?