We like to camp….a lot…which you can probably tell from how often I blog about it. Unfortunately, we get stuck in a rut when it comes to food. We usually eat well but I am a bit tired of having the same old thing every trip.
My whole family loves egg dishes so I wanted to find something where egg was the main component but it wasn’t just a plain omlette or fried egg. This grilled breakfast casserole fits the bill because it has a base of hash browns (or tater tots) and is filled with yummy veggies.
I add breakfast sausage to it as well. Then it is finished up with a bit of cheese.
My most favourite part about it is that you can make it fit what your family likes. Change up the veggies or add bacon instead of sausage. You can also use up leftovers from earlier in your camping trip…just make a bit more to throw in the casserole.
I’ve had lots of people ask me if this can be made on a Coleman stove or the campfire. I have never tried to do that and I’m not sure how well it would work. You need the top to cook along with the bottom.
If you were going to try it at the campfire, I would use a dutch oven with coals on top as well as on the bottom. Hope that helps! Enjoy!
Grilled Breakfast Casserole
Camping Food - Grilled Breakfast Casserole
- 500 grams frozen hashbrown or tater tots
- 8 eggs
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1 package chicken sausage links cooked and chopped (or other sausage, bacon or ham)
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 1 red bell pepper chopped
- 1 cup fresh mushrooms chopped
- Seasoning salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup shredded cheese
- Heat bbq grill to 350 degrees (ish)
- Spray the bottom of a disposable aluminum foil lasagna pan with cooking spray.
- Press the hashbrowns or tater tots into the bottom (helps if they are thawed).
- Whisk the eggs and milk together in a medium bowl.
- Layer sausage, onion, bell pepper and mushrooms onto the potatoes.
- Pour the egg mixture over everything.
- Season with salt & pepper.
- Sprinkle the top with shredded cheese.
- Cover pan with aluminum foil and place on the preheated grill.
- Cook for 30 minutes or until eggs are set. Remove foil for the last 5-10 minutes so cheese will brown.
Weber 50060001 Q1000 Liquid Propane GrillAluminum Half Size Deep Foil Pan 30 packs 9 x 13 Safe for use in freezer, oven, and steam table.pen,Farberware Classic Plastic Mixing Bowls, Red Set of 3KitchenAid Nylon Slotted Turner, BlackWeber 54060001 Q2200 Liquid Propane GrillWired Whisk Silicone Whisk Set of 3 – Stainless Steel & Silicone Kitchen Utensils for Blending, Whisking, Beating & Stirring – (Blue: 12-inch, Red: 10-inch & Green: 8.5-inch)
Looking for more great camping recipes? Try these!
Grilled French Toast Skewers