Camping used to be one of our favourite summer activities. We don’t camp as much anymore but we still love this Grilled Breakfast Casserole recipe we made almost every time we camped. It makes a ton and it’s popular with kids and adults alike. Plus, it keeps growing boys full and happy!
Do you find yourself getting in a camping food rut? Our usual camping breakfast foods included pancakes, breakfast tacos, English muffins with eggs and cheese and cereal. We loved all of those but it got a bit tiresome to eat the same thing over and over. We needed something that was easy to make at the campsite, would keep us all from getting hangry before lunch and was delicious.
My whole family loves egg dishes so I wanted to find something where egg was the main component but it wasn’t just a plain omlette or fried egg. This grilled breakfast casserole fits the bill because it has a base of hash browns (or tater tots) and is filled with yummy veggies.
I add breakfast sausage to it as well. Then it is finished up with a bit of cheese.
My favourite part about it is that you can make it fit what your family likes. Change up the veggies or add bacon instead of sausage. You can also use up leftovers from earlier in your camping trip…just make a bit more to throw in the casserole.
I’ve had lots of people ask me if this can be made on a Coleman stove or the campfire. I have never tried to do that and I’m not sure how well it would work. You need the top to cook along with the bottom.
If you were going to try it at the campfire, I would use a dutch oven with coals on top as well as on the bottom. Hope that helps! Enjoy!
Grilled Breakfast Casserole Printable Recipe
Camping Food – Grilled Breakfast Casserole
- 500 grams frozen hashbrown or tater tots
- 8 eggs
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1 package chicken sausage links cooked and chopped (or other sausage, bacon or ham)
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 1 red bell pepper chopped
- 1 cup fresh mushrooms chopped
- Seasoning salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup shredded cheese
- Heat bbq grill to 350 degrees (ish)
- Spray the bottom of a disposable aluminum foil lasagna pan with cooking spray.
- Press the hashbrowns or tater tots into the bottom (helps if they are thawed).
- Whisk the eggs and milk together in a medium bowl.
- Layer sausage, onion, bell pepper and mushrooms onto the potatoes.
- Pour the egg mixture over everything.
- Season with salt & pepper.
- Sprinkle the top with shredded cheese.
- Cover pan with aluminum foil and place on the preheated grill.
- Cook for 30 minutes or until eggs are set. Remove foil for the last 5-10 minutes so cheese will brown.