Crock Pot chili is the perfect dish no matter what time of year it is. I love making it when it is super cold outside (which is OFTEN in Calgary) as well as in the summer. Making it in the Crock Pot means that you won’t heat up your kitchen even when it is hot out. Plus chili is delicious alone, on top of hot dogs, on top of fries or in Tacos in a Bag. So versatile and it reheats so well. It’s the perfect meal to have on hand in the fridge when you have a houseful. Everyone can just grab a bowl, warm it and go.
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 large onion, diced
- 2 red bell peppers, diced
- 2 jalapenos, deseeded, deveined & diced
- 2 pounds lean ground beef
- 1/2 cup chili powder
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper, more if you want it spicy
- 1 1/2 tsp granulated garlic
- 1 Tbsp oregano
- 1 Tbsp salt
- 1 can, 19 oz crushed tomatoes
- 1 large can, 28 oz diced tomatoes
- 1 can red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can Romano beans, drained and rinsed
- Heat oil in a frying pan.
- Cook the onion, bell peppers and jalapenos until the onions are translucent and beginning to soften. Dump the onion & pepper mixture into your crockpot.
- Using the same skillet, brown your ground beef. Drain the fat from the beef and discard the fat. Sprinkle the chili powder over the ground meat while it's still in the skillet. Stir well to distribute the chili powder. Dump this mixture into the crockpot.
- Add remaining ingredients and mix well. Cook on low for 6 - 8 hours or on high for 3 - 4 hours (the longer it cooks the more the flavors will meld).
- Serve with shredded cheese and hot sauce for garnish. Makes 6-8 servings.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 248Saturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 93mgSodium: 1266mgCarbohydrates: 5gFiber: 1gSugar: 2gProtein: 33g
Recipe Notes: This chili was a big hit with everyone other than Evan. Dewey said “From now on….use this recipe for chili!” You could also make this on the stove top, just simmer it on the stove top for an hour or two on low.
Looking for other great soup and stew recipes? Check these out!