I have NOT been feeling the holiday cookie baking this year. I still wanted to give gifts to the neighbors, though, so I began looking for other things to make. CrockPot Apple Butter to the rescue. It’s easy to make and gives you 8 jars to give away if you like. Just use a decorative jar and you are all set.
- 12 cups apples, peeled and chopped (I used Granny Smith)
- 3 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground cloves
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Mix all ingredients in a large bowl until apples are covered in sugar mixture. Place in crockpot and cook on high for 1 hour.
- Decrease crockpot to low and cook for 9-12 hours or until apples turn brown and thicken. Stir occasionally during this cooking time.
- Use a whisk or a spoon to squish any remaining whole apple pieces.
- Remove lid and cook for an additional hour on low.
- Spoon into jars or freezer containers leaving 1 inch head space. Apple butter can be used immediately (and refrigerated) or kept in the freezer for later. You could also can it for room temp storage but canning is beyond me. 🙂
- Makes 8 250ml (1 cup) jars with a bit left over.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 491 Sodium: 79mg Carbohydrates: 127g Fiber: 5g Sugar: 120g
Recipe Notes for CrockPot Apple Butter: I used white and brown sugar because I ran out of white sugar (crazy I know!). I found this very sweet but Dewey loved it. I think you should definitely cut back on the sugar if you use sweeter apples or if you want a less sweet product.