Ever since I visited my friend, Shawna, at her cabin, I have been obsessed with Jalapeno Poppers.
With yumminess like this how could you not be? I posted this picture to Instagram and immediately I got requests for the recipe. Well…I didn’t really get that. So I decided to figure it out myself. What resulted is more of a guideline than a recipe. I put a bit of this and a bit of that. The wonderful thing is….when you wrap things in bacon, the rest doesn’t matter so much.
- 12 whole jalapenos, halved lengthwise with seeds and veins removed
- 1 8 oz block light cream cheese
- 1 handful shredded cheese, I used Tex Mex
- 1 tbsp Garlic salt
- 1 tbsp light sour cream, heaping
- 1 pack bacon, preferably thick cut- slices cut in half
- I recommend using latex gloves when handling the jalapenos (especially if you make these camping like I did). Always wash your hands before touching your eyes!
- Mix together cream cheese, shredded cheese, garlic plus and sour cream until well mixed.
- Spread a heaping teaspoon of filling into each jalapeno half.
- Wrap each jalapeno half in one half slice of bacon.
- Place on a foil lined cookie sheet.
- Bake in a 350 F oven until bacon is done and cheese is melted (time depends on your oven and the thickness of the bacon).
- If grilling, preheat your grill to 350 - 400 degees. Cook the poppers on a large griddle. Start the poppers cheese side down to sear the bacon. Once the bacon is seared, turn the poppers over and finish cooking. This keeps all of the cheese from running out onto the pan (you still lose some but not as much).
These poppers got rave reviews from my fellow campers. They go great with frozen margaritas!
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 159 Saturated Fat: 4g Cholesterol: 24mg Sodium: 827mg Carbohydrates: 1g Protein: 4g
I believe that bacon makes EVERYTHING better. What is your favorite recipe that uses bacon?
Love appetizers? You will love these recipes!