My family LOVES pasta. Like love loves. When I ask Evan what he wants for dinner, it almost always includes some sort of pasta. I love this Italian Sausage Baked Pasta recipe because it is easy, I have the ingredients on hand at all times and it is delicious. I love making it when we are all at home because it makes a huge pan. I can see it making an appearance over the holidays. It’s perfect for a crowd on a cold winter night. Just add salad, garlic bread and a bottle of wine and you have it made!
Long story short….make this recipe!
- 1 package Mild Italian Turkey Sausage, 6 links (~1 to 1 1/2 lbs)
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 large red pepper, chopped
- 1 jar pasta sauce
- 3/4 cup chili sauce, in the ketchup dept
- 1 tsp each basil & oregano
- 500 g of penne pasta
- 2 1/2 cups grated mozzarella cheese
- 1 cup grated parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Put a large pot of water on to boil. Cook pasta according to package directions. Make sauce below as it's cooking.
- Squeeze the sausage out of the casings and brown meat in a skillet. Remove the meat and set aside on a plate. There should be little grease in the pan. If there's lots (i.e. if you use regular sausage) drain all but 1 Tbsp off. Brown the onions, garlic and bell pepper until softened. Add the pasta sauce, chili sauce, basil and oregano. Bring the sauce to a bubble. Return the sausage to the pan and simmer covered for about 15 minutes. Make sure the sausage is cooked through.
- Drain Pasta well.
- In a large bowl, mix together pasta, sauce and half of the mozzarella cheese. Spoon into a 11X 14 baking dish and sprinkle remaining cheeses over top. Cover with aluminum foil spritzed with cooking spray so that the cheese won't stick. Bake for 30 minutes. Remove foil for the last 5 minutes so that the cheese gets browned.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 471 Saturated Fat: 7g Cholesterol: 49mg Sodium: 1287mg Carbohydrates: 60g Fiber: 5g Sugar: 9g Protein: 25g
Recipe Notes: Two big thumbs up from everyone. Yum! Turkey sausage works really well with this recipe and makes it healthier.