Kale salad…it’s delicious I promise!
It’s January. Time to stop eating chocolates like they are vitamins and drinking eggnog right out of the carton. After a holiday season of eating and drinking WAY too much, I stepped on the scale and almost died. So I’ve stepped back and I’m trying to make positive changes in my diet so that I won’t need to buy a new, larger wardrobe.
However, before you ask….I am not doing anything extreme. I’m not giving up anything. However, I am going to try to cut back on sugar and grains. I’m also adding in lots of green leafy vegetables. For breakfast, I really enjoy a delicious green smoothie full of spinach and blueberries for an antioxidant kickstart. For lunch I like to have a salad of some kind. Today I made this beautiful (look at those lovely shades of green!) and delicious kale and brussels sprout salad that I was introduced to by my friend Julie van Rosendaal except I changed it up a wee bit.
Here is my take on the salad and you will notice that I am NOT giving up everything because that IS bacon that you see. 🙂 Also, if you hate brussels sprouts, do not be afraid of this salad. Since they aren’t cooked, they do not take on that sulphur-y taste that they can sometimes have. Even Dewey, the biggest brussesl sprout hater in the world, loves this salad. That is saying a lot.
Kale Salad Recipe:
Kale and Brussels Sprout Salad with Pear and Bacon
- 5 large kale leaves approximately
- 6 medium/large brussels sprouts approximately
- 1/4 medium onion preferably red but any will do, sliced thin
- 1/4 cup shredded pecorino or parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup roasted almonds coarsely chopped
- 1 pear cored and coarsely chopped
- 6 - 8 slices of bacon fried crisp and chopped
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 2 Tbsp grainy mustard
- pinch sugar
- 1/4 tsp Sriracha
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Remove stems from kale and slice very thinly. Add to medium salad bowl.
- Remove any dried leaves from the outside of the brussels sprouts. Cut in half and then slice thinly discarding the stem end. Add to bowl with kale.
- Add onions, parmesan, almonds, pear and bacon to the salad bowl.
- In a large measuring cup, add all dressing ingredients and whisk.
- Pour dressing over salad and toss.