As much as I hate to admit it, Fall is coming. I’ve noticed some of the trees are starting to get the tinge of color on their leaves. I love Alberta in the summer but it is much too short lived. While I will miss the warm summer days, I do enjoy Fall. Turning leaves, pumpkin everything and SOUP. I’m not sure why I don’t make soup more often during the summer but I don’t. I love this recipe for meatball soup. Even though I say it is “Kid Friendly”, it is really “everyone friendly”. The whole family loves it and I can’t wait to make it again!
What is it about soup that makes us feel safe? Whenever I am feeling anxious, I crave soup. Maybe, for me, it is because my Granny made soup so often and my grandparents house was always a safe place. Maybe it is the warmth? Maybe it is that it feels nourishing…maybe to our soul as well as our body? I truly couldn’t tell you but I know that it does make me feel safe and warm. And in these times, I’ll take it. Pass the soup!
Plus, soup makes for great leftovers to take to work or school!
So tell me…what are your favourite soups? Do you prefer making them on the stove top or in the crockpot? Share in the comments!
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium onion diced fine
- 2 carrots peeled and diced
- 2 bay leaves
- 5 cups beef broth
- 2 Tbsp Worcestershire Sauce
- 1 1/2 pound lean ground beef or ground turkey
- 1/2 cup crushed saltine crackers ~9 crackers
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1 egg
- 2 cups fusilli pasta
- 3 - 4 cups baby spinach
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a large stockpot, heat olive oil over medium heat.
- Add onion, carrot and bay leaves to the pot.
- Cover and cook for 6 - 8 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add broth and Worcestershire sauce and bring to a boil.
- While soup is coming to a boil, mix together meat, crackers, cheese, nutmeg and egg.
- Once broth has come to a boil, decrease heat to bring it from a boil to a simmer.
- Roll meat mixture into mini meatballs and drop in to the broth.
- Add pasta to the soup and increase the heat.
- Boil for approximately 10 minutes or until pasta and meatballs are done.
- Stir baby spinach in to the soup and cook until wilted.
- Taste soup and add salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve with crusty bread and enjoy!
Products you might enjoy. Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links. By clicking through these links, I will make a small percentage of your purchase without it affecting the cost to you
Sistema Microwave Cookware Noodle Bowl, 31.7 Ounce/ 4 Cup, Assorted ColorsStay Fit Soup/Meal Container , EZ HeatRachael Ray Hard Enamel on Steel Covered Stockpot, 12-Quart, Marine BlueVinMax 2 Value Pack – Nessie Monster Soup Ladle + Colander (Blue & Purple)Iron deficiency anemia solution, The Lucky Iron Fish, Natural alternative to iron supplements for anemia with NO adverse side effects; iron supplement that is Gluten free and Vegan friendlyBoy Rice & Soup Bowls Set (Japan) by Sun ArtGirl Rice & Soup Bowls Set (Japan) by Globally Cute
Love soup? Check out these delicious recipes!