Disclosure: President’s Choice asked me to try out their #CompromiseFree line of Lactose-Free products and share my experience with you. As always, all opinions are my own (or those of my unknowing guinea pigs who were all NACHOs!!!!! WoOOO!).
There are so many food intolerances lately that it really makes my head swim. We entertain quite a lot during the summer but worrying about what people can and can’t eat makes me anxious. Since we are lucky enough not to have too many allergies/intolerances in our family, I’m not well versed in cooking to avoid certain ingredients. When I got the opportunity to try some of the new lactose-free products from President’s Choice, I jumped at the chance. They are working to make cooking for people with food allergies and intolerances easier for all of us. My first attempt? Fully Loaded Lactose-Free Nachos!
First up…gathering the ingredients. You can buy lactose-free cheese and lactose-free sour cream in the diary section right next to their lactose-full counter parts. Since I planned to take the nachos with me to a hockey watching party, I decided to try all the lactose-free ingredients by themselves.
I admit it…I was not convinced they would taste good. Thankfully, I was pleasantly surprised that other than a teensy texture difference in the cheese, I couldn’t tell any difference at all between the regular and the lactose-free items. Color me surprised!
We were heading to our community hall to watch the Oilers game so I prepped everything ahead of time so I could make it there. No one wants cold nachos! It worked like a charm. I grated the cheese and put it in one container and then put all of the chopped peppers, green onions and bell peppers in another.
Then when we arrived I just layered the ingredients and popped it in the oven. The smell of nachos had everyone coming over to see what I was cooking!
Once they were out on the counter, people were grabbing a handful to try. Everyone said they were delicious. I let them know they were made with lactose-free cheese and no one could tell the difference. What a win! Now I know that I have an appetizer on hand that I can make whenever someone with a lactose intolerance visits. Plus, it is super delicious so I can make it for everyone (no sad food that only tastes good because you have no choice here! That’s why their hashtag is #CompromiseFree).
- 1 pkg blue corn tortilla chips
- 3 cups shredded PC®Lactose-Free Marble Cheddar Cheese
- 1 cup diced tomato
- 1 cup diced sweet yellow pepper
- 3 green onions, thinly sliced
- 1/3 cup PC® Pickled, Sliced Jalapeño Peppers, roughly chopped,drained
- 1/2 cup cilantro leaves
- 3/4 cup PC® Black Label Smoky Chipotle Salsa
- 1/2 cup PC® Lactose-Free 14% M.F. Sour Cream
- Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C). Line rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Arrange half of the tortilla chips in single layer on prepared baking sheet; sprinkle with half each of the cheese, tomato,
- pepper, onion and jalapeño. Repeat layers.
- Bake in centre of oven 10 to 12 minutes or until cheese is bubbling and golden. Let stand 2 minutes then sprinkle with
- cilantro. Serve with salsa and sour cream.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 221 Saturated Fat: 10g Cholesterol: 51mg Sodium: 688mg Carbohydrates: 6g Fiber: 1g Sugar: 2g Protein: 11g
Looking for more appetizer recipes? Try these!