School is back in session. There is a chill in the air (well…sometimes…at night. I really wish Fall would get here for real.) and everything PUMPKIN has hit the scene. I love Pumpkin spice lattes, pumpkin loaf, pumpkin pie….anything pumpkin really. Evan’s lunches have been a little light on home baked items lately so I decided to make some pumpkin muffins of my own. His two requests were that they be bite sized and that they have chocolate chips. I had no real issue with either request so it was an easy win for him. Pumpkin chocolate chip muffins for the win.
Muffins are perfect for the lunchbox but I try to ensure that they aren’t just a small piece of cake. Healthy ingredients, whole grain flours and lower fat are all requirements. This muffin recipe meets these criteria with flying color, has the goodness of Greek yogurt and is light, fluff and delicious. Perfect for the lunchbox or with your morning coffee. Yum!
Light and Healthy Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Mini Muffins
*Pumpkin Pie Spice - makes 1 Tbsp
- 1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp ground allspice
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees and spray a mini muffin pan with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, combine flours, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and pumpkin pie spice.
- In a small bowl, combine pumpkin puree, eggs, yogurt and oil and mix well.
- Pour wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and stir until just combined.
- Fold in chocolate chips.
- Spoon in to mini muffin pan and bake for 8-10 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.