The warm weather is making me crave fresh and delicious salads. I had a delicious Cobb salad today for lunch just today while out with my husband. I love ordering salads when I go out but I’m less apt to make the at home. Why? Well, there’s all the chopping and I never think about it far enough ahead of time. This is something I am going to change! My first kick at that? Making Mason Jar salads. My first one is Greek!
Why “in a jar”? Am I just trying to be kitchy? NO! Layering your salad in a jar means that you can prepare it ahead of the time without having to eat slimy salad. The dressing hangs out at the bottom of the jar far away from the tender leaves of lettuce at the top. When you are ready to enjoy, shake it up to dress it and enjoy. Easy, delicious and ready when you are. Win, win, win!
Mason Jar Greek Salad:
When I’m in a rush, I just use bottled greek dressing (with some extra dill, oregano, and thyme), whole pitted black olives (sometimes I will crush it between my fingers before adding to the jar instead of worrying about slicing them), red onion, and banana peppers with the brine. However, you could chose to add things like tomatoes, bell peppers, or cucumber depending on what you have on hand.
First add the dressing, olives, peppers and brine to the bottom of the jar. You want to keep any and all liquid away from your lettuce! After this add any hard veggies you want to marinate in the dressing like onions, tomatoes (not hard but ok to sit in dressing), bell peppers and cucumbers.
Next add your feta cheese. Spread it evenly over the dressing and veggies so your lettuce has something dry to “sit” on. It works best if it sits on veggies and not just dressing. If you are adding chicken, add it after the feta.
Gently stuff your jar the rest of the way with the lettuce. If you intend to eat it on the go from the jar, I suggest packing very loosely to make it easier to eat. To serve, shake the jar until ingredients are mixed and eat with a fork, or pour contents into a bowl.
- Greek Salad Dressing, bottled or using recipe here - https://merryabouttown.com/summer-time-greek-salad/
- ⅓ cup Black olives
- ½ cup Feta
- ⅓ cup sliced banana peppers, with brine
- ¼ small onion thinly sliced
- Chicken, optional
- Romaine lettuce, about ⅓ of a head, sliced or torn into bite sized pieces
- Additional herbs, dill, oregano, thyme optional
- Pour dressing in a quart sized mason jar
- Add in black olives (crush or slice if desired), banana peppers and brine, onion, and feta. If using a protein, add to the mason jar at this point.
- Gently top the jar off with the lettuce and screw lid on.
- Store in the fridge for up to 5 days.
- To serve, shake the jar until ingredients are mixed and eat with a fork, or pour contents into a bowl.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 2
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 142 Saturated Fat: 6g Cholesterol: 33mg Sodium: 771mg Carbohydrates: 4g Fiber: 1g Sugar: 2g Protein: 6g
Want to check out more salad recipes? How about these!