I’m not sure how it happened but Evan is turning 7 this week. It seems like just yesterday that he was a tiny squishy baby. Now he is a tall boy who loves his Mama, Minecraft, Skylanders and Lego. He had very specific instructions for Skylanders cupcakes but it sounded a bit too complex for me. Thankfully I was able to talk him in to Minecraft cupcakes instead. Pixelated creeper faces? I can do that!
Since his birthday is on Saturday, we decided to take cupcakes in for his class today. A little pre-end of school sugar to make the day REALLY fun.
I tried to convince him that rice krispie treats would be a much better idea (and easier for me) but he wasn’t buying it. Instead I pulled out my chocolate cupcake recipe and got to work. These turned out great and are pretty easy to make with ingredients that you have in your pantry.
Easy Minecraft Creeper Cupcakes
- 1 cup plus 1 Tbsp butter softened
- 3 1/2 cups icing confectioners sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 4 Tbsp milk
- Green paste food coloring
- Tube of Wilton Black Decorative Icing with a small round icing tip
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Prep a muffin tin with cupcake papers.
- In medium bowl, combine flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder and salt.
- In a large bowl, cream together butter and sugar until fluffy.
- Add two eggs and mix.
- Add flour mixture to the butter, sugar, egg mixture and mix thoroughly.
- Add water and vanilla and mix.
- Spoon in to cupcake papers until approximately 2/3 full.
- Bake for 18 - 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in to the center comes out clean.
- Cool completely before frosting.
- Recipe makes 24 cupcakes (I got 26 but a couple of mine were really small).
- Sift together icing sugar and cocoa powder.
- Cream butter with an electric mixer on medium speed for ~30 seconds.
- Turn off mixer, add icing sugar.
- Mix using low speed (unless you want a sugar cloud!) until the sugar and butter combine.
- Add milk and vanilla.
- Mix for 3 minutes on medium high.
- Adjust for thickness by adding powdered sugar if it is too thin or adding milk 1 tsp at a time if it is too thick.
- Add food coloring until you reach the green color preferred.
- Spread frosting on cupcakes with a knife making top as flat as possible.
- Use black decorative icing to draw creeper face on top of cupcake.
Using black decorator icing makes this MUCH easier. I tried to make black icing using food coloring and it ended up looking like baby poop. Just spend the $4 and buy the black decorating icing. It is SO WORTH IT. Below is a picture of the one I used.
I hope you find this recipe helpful for making creeper cupcakes for all the Minecraft fans out there! Evan gives them a big thumbs up.
Looking for more great Minecraft ideas?