I’m not sure how it happened but Evan is turning 7 this week. It seems like just yesterday that he was a tiny squishy baby. Now he is a tall boy who loves his Mama, Minecraft, Skylanders and Lego. He had very specific instructions for Skylanders cupcakes but it sounded a bit too complex for me. Thankfully I was able to talk him in to Minecraft cupcakes instead. Pixelated creeper faces? I can do that!
Since his birthday is on Saturday, we decided to take cupcakes in for his class today. A little pre-end of school sugar to make the day REALLY fun.
I tried to convince him that rice krispie treats would be a much better idea (and easier for me) but he wasn’t buying it. Instead I pulled out my chocolate cupcake recipe and got to work. These turned out great and are pretty easy to make with ingredients that you have in your pantry.
- 2 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 2/3 cups granulated sugar
- 2/3 cup butter, softened
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/4 cup water
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 cup plus 1 Tbsp butter, softened
- 3 1/2 cups icing, confectioners sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 4 Tbsp milk
- Green paste food coloring
- Tube of Wilton Black Decorative Icing with a small round icing tip
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Prep a muffin tin with cupcake papers.
- In medium bowl, combine flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder and salt.
- In a large bowl, cream together butter and sugar until fluffy.
- Add two eggs and mix.
- Add flour mixture to the butter, sugar, egg mixture and mix thoroughly.
- Add water and vanilla and mix.
- Spoon in to cupcake papers until approximately 2/3 full.
- Bake for 18 - 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in to the center comes out clean.
- Cool completely before frosting.
- Recipe makes 24 cupcakes (I got 26 but a couple of mine were really small).
- Sift together icing sugar and cocoa powder.
- Cream butter with an electric mixer on medium speed for ~30 seconds.
- Turn off mixer, add icing sugar.
- Mix using low speed (unless you want a sugar cloud!) until the sugar and butter combine.
- Add milk and vanilla.
- Mix for 3 minutes on medium high.
- Adjust for thickness by adding powdered sugar if it is too thin or adding milk 1 tsp at a time if it is too thick.
- Add food coloring until you reach the green color preferred.
- Spread frosting on cupcakes with a knife making top as flat as possible.
- Use black decorative icing to draw creeper face on top of cupcake.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 24
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 365 Saturated Fat: 9g Cholesterol: 47mg Sodium: 343mg Carbohydrates: 47g Fiber: 1g Sugar: 34g Protein: 2g
Using black decorator icing makes this MUCH easier. I tried to make black icing using food coloring and it ended up looking like baby poop. Just spend the $4 and buy the black decorating icing. It is SO WORTH IT. Below is a picture of the one I used.
I hope you find this recipe helpful for making creeper cupcakes for all the Minecraft fans out there! Evan gives them a big thumbs up.
Looking for more great Minecraft ideas?