Working from home at the lake has been quite different for me. In the past, I could run out for lunch with friends or walk for coffee or meet Dewey. Here, I can still go out for lunch but it is at least a 20-minute drive one way. Instead, I’ve decided to focus on eating healthier meals at home. This week, I decided to recreate a soup I had at a local soup and sandwich restaurant…Mushroom Barley Soup. Plus I made it even easier by making it in my Instant Pot!
Since this soup has no meat in it, it is a great low-calorie option. I did make it with beef broth but you could easily make it vegan by using veggie broth instead (I just didn’t have any).
Mushroom Barley Soup in the Instant Pot
2 Tbsp olive oil
1 medium onion, diced
1 large carrot, peeled and chopped
2 celery ribs, chopped
4 garlic cloves, minced
1 pound fresh mushrooms, sliced
1800 ml beef broth (2 900 ml tetra packs, ~ 2 quarts)
3/4 cup pearl barley
2 bay leaves
Prep all our veggies. Turn your Instant Pot onto Saute. Add the onions, carrots, celery and garlic.
Saute until the onions are transparent.
Add mushrooms and stir. Cook for approximately one minute. Turn off saute function.
Add broth, barley and bay leaves. Close Instant Pot lid, move vent to Sealing and push the “Soup” button. Once your Instant Pot goes through the soup cycle, quick release the Instant Pot by moving the vent to Venting using a wooden spoon. Let all the steam escape before you open your Instant Pot. Stir soup and season with salt and pepper to taste. Remove bay leaves and serve.
Mushroom Barley Soup in the Instant Pot Printable Recipe
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium onion, diced (~1 cup)
- 1 large carrot, peeled and chopped (~3/4 cup)
- 2 celery ribs, chopped (~1/2 cup)
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 pound fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1800 ml low sodium beef broth, approximately 2 litres or 2 quarts
- 3/4 cup pearl barley
- 2 bay leaves
- Turn your Instant Pot onto Saute and add olive oil. Add onion, carrot, celery and garlic to the oil and cook until onions become transparent.
- Add mushrooms and stir for a minute (ish).
- Pour in broth, barley and bay leaves. Turn off the saute function, close the lid, turn the vent to sealing and push the soup button.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: cup
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 136Sodium: 431mgCarbohydrates: 19gFiber: 4gSugar: 2gProtein: 7g
Love Soup? Check out these other fantastic recipes!