A chill is in the air today. It finally feels like Fall again after our week of summer weather. Cooler days are the perfect time for baking! A few brown bananas languishing on my counter meant that banana bread was a no brainer. Evan told me that it was okay if I made banana bread but it BETTER have chocolate chips in it. Who am I to argue with that? I pulled out my favorite easy banana bread recipe and got to work.
This recipe makes a beautiful, large loaf of banana bread. You can easily cut the loaf in half and freeze part of it to keep it fresh for later. Thick slices are perfect for breakfast (if you don’t include chocolate chips) or for a lunch box treat (if you do). It’s also perfect with a cup of coffee as an afternoon snack.
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 3/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 2 large eggs
- 1/4 cup lite sour cream
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 bananas, mashed
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips, optional
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Spray large loaf pan with cooking spray.
- Combine the flour, baking soda and salt in a small bowl.
- In a large bowl, combine sugar and butter. Mix until well blended.
- Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each one.
- Add mashed banana, sour cream and vanilla extract. Mix well.
- Add flour mixture and mix until just moistened.
- Spoon into pan.
- Bake for one hour and 10 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean when inserted in the middle.
- Cool for 10 minutes on a wire rack before removing from pan.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 301 Saturated Fat: 6g Cholesterol: 40mg Sodium: 225mg Carbohydrates: 46g Fiber: 3g Sugar: 25g Protein: 4g
Love banana bread? Check out these delicious quick bread recipes that you will love too!