I’m not 100% sure why new potatoes are so much more delicious than regular potatoes but they are. When new potatoes hit the farmers market, we can’t stop making creamy dill potatoes.
These nuggets of pure potato joy turn us in to potato junkies and I bet they will you too. This recipe is best when it is made with farm fresh potatoes and dill but I would be lying if I said I didn’t make them with grocery store supplies too. Just don’t try to use dry dill…it just won’t be the same!
Make sure you pick small “new” potatoes for this recipe. You can cut larger potatoes up to make this but it isn’t as good. I leave the peelings on my potatoes as well because it keeps the potatoes from mushing together as you cook.
This is our favourite potato recipe bar none. I bet you will now want to eat your potatoes this way from now on, just like we do! Yum! We love serving these with a nice steak or smoked ribs!
Creamy Dill Potatoes Side Dish
New Potatoes with Cream and Dill
- 1 pound small new potatoes
- 1 Tbsp butter
- 1/4 medium yellow onion diced
- 250 ml 18% cream
- 1/2 cup fresh dill (large handful ) chopped with stems discarded
- salt and pepper to taste
- Boil potatoes whole in a medium sauce pan filled with salted water until potatoes are tender when poked with a fork.
- Drain potatoes and leave in colander.
- Melt butter in the empty saucepan previously used to boil the potatoes.
- Add chopped onion and cook until starting to caramelize (~5 minutes) over medium heat.
- Reduce heat and add the cream and the dill.
- Simmer right at the boiling point until the cream becomes very thick, stirring constantly.
- Add potatoes back to the saucepan with the cream sauce.
- Salt and pepper to taste and stir potatoes to cover with the dill cream sauce.
Don’t forget to pin the recipe for Creamy Dill Potatoes for later!
Love potatoes? Here are some more delicious potato recipes that you have to try!