If you were to sum up the Christmas season for me this year in one word, it would be “Meh”. I’m not really feeling it this year. We are going away so I made the executive decisions not to put up the tree.
As Evan would say “I REGRET MY DECISIONS!”
Unfortunately, we have reached the point where it really, really doesn’t make sense to do it now. So here I sit, knowing it is the Christmas season but not feeling it AT ALL. Thankfully, there are few things that baking can’t make better. When Dewey said “We seem to be pretty light on cookies around here”, I took it as a sign that I needed to make something at least moderately Christmas-y.
Off I went to find a cookie recipe that was:
B) Made without a trip to the grocery store
I’ve found that when these are your criteria, old-fashioned recipes are your best bed. Simple cookies, ingredients you have on hand and deliciousness can never be wrong. I loved how easy the recipe was and the boys loved how the cookies tasted. Ok…I’m lying. I ate some too and they were delicious.
You can use whatever jam or jelly is your favorite. I used blueberry jam, apple jelly and pineapple ginger jam.
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup powdered, icing sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup Jam
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Line cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- In a stand mixer, cream together butter and sugar until creamy.
- Scrape down bowl and add vanilla and salt. Mix together.
- Slowly add flour until just mixed, scraping down bowl as needed.
- Using a small cookie scoop, make 1 inch balls of cookie dough. Place on cookie sheet and use your thumb to make an indention in the top of each ball.
- Fill indention with ~ 3/4 tsp jam of your choosing.
- Bake for 12 - 15 minutes. Cool on a wire rack. Jam will set as they cool.
- Optional: Dust with powdered sugar.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 36
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 93 Saturated Fat: 3g Cholesterol: 15mg Sodium: 69mg Carbohydrates: 9g Sugar: 3g Protein: 1g
Love Christmas Cookies? You have to try these!