Cabbage rolls are something that I did not grow up eating. I blame it on the lack of Ukrainians in Alabama. Thankfully there are a lot of Ukrainians in Calgary so I have made up for lost. time. Unfortunately, the whole cooking the cabbage and then rolling them in to rolls has put me off from actually making cabbage rolls at home. Then my friend Maija mentioned that she makes cheater unstuffed cabbage rolls. Huh? I had to check out her recipe. All the flavours of cabbage rolls without the work? Perfect!
I finally got around to making this recipe (with a few tweaks of course) this week. It was a big hit with Dewey and I. In fact, we ate it for dinner two days in a row. I think it tasted better the second day after the flavours had a chance to meld. Evan wan’t as excited but he really doesn’t like foods that are all mixed together unless it involves pasta so I wouldn’t trust his opinion. This is the perfect meal for a cold and snowy day. It comes together pretty quickly so it works well for a school night. Serve it with steamed rice, a nice french baguette and maybe a glass of wine. Enjoy and stay warm!
One Pot Unstuffed Cabbage Rolls
- Heat olive oil in a large pot over medium heat.
- Add hamburger meat, onion and garlic. Cook until beef is browned. Drain and discard grease.
- Add tomatoes, tomato sauce, chili sauce, broth, cabbage and Italian seasoning. Stir well.
- Bring to a boil and cook for 30 - 40 minutes or until the cabbage is tender.
- Serve with steamed rice and crusty bread.
Love comfort food? Here are other recipes to try!